Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So much I was EMBARRASED! >
  • So much I was EMBARRASED!

• So much I was EMBARRASED!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    So is freecycle on the internet? and what is the URL?
    www.freecycle.org

it will first ask you for the section you live in ie: west,north etc..then the state, city..and will list all the cites that have local message boards. some cities have more than one and you can join other ones in your area..surrounding cities. although they will ask for your zipcode..
    Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 AM

You know sometimes it seems the same people keep getting "hit" over and over. I don't know why that is . But I think your saying about "making it a new day" is a good one. Some would just set stop. Give up. But others like you keep going. I don't know what makes the difference. I guess if we could make a pill for it, we would be rich. Hang in there. What you have been through is a terrible grief as terrible as losing someone you love. Im not saying material things are as important as people, but it still is a life changing event. I hope you aren't alone. Jackie
    Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Wow...what a great deal for the one with the stuff...I wish they had a sight and knew of it here where I am living. We lost EVERYTHING to Hurricane IKE..38 years of everything...I had such beautiful material, great sewing machine and all...also had 2 homes burn as a child..one in 2nd grade,,the 2nd one in the 4th grade...but God does provide. WE ARE ALIVE...it is just so hard to start over with all we had....we can NEVER replace it...I lost my piano, keyboard...I HAVE TO STOP IT...It hurts to know all our belongings was under 19 ft water surge..house and all...was a terrible mess here in Oak Island, Texas..oh well...so much for that....Thank God we are alive and well for now.
    Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by boopisit
    Wow...what a great deal for the one with the stuff...I wish they had a sight and knew of it here where I am living. We lost EVERYTHING to Hurricane IKE..38 years of everything...I had such beautiful material, great sewing machine and all...also had 2 homes burn as a child..one in 2nd grade,,the 2nd one in the 4th grade...but God does provide. WE ARE ALIVE...it is just so hard to start over with all we had....we can NEVER replace it...I lost my piano, keyboard...I HAVE TO STOP IT...It hurts to know all our belongings was under 19 ft water surge..house and all...was a terrible mess here in Oak Island, Texas..oh well...so much for that....Thank God we are alive and well for now.
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Are you beginning to get re-situated? I know it takes a long time. Our house burned about 8-9 years ago. We were able to rescue a few things, but not a whole lot.

The things we miss the most are the sentimental treasures that there is no replacement for...Daddy's sister's bracelet (she died in 1923), the quilt my MIL made as a wedding gift, the kids school pictures, the dolls my mom and her sister played with as children...Yeah, it's just stuff, but it was very special stuff!
    Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 AM

You are so right. It is only stuff, but stuff you worked so hard for, so long getting. Yes we are starting to recover. We were not able to get anything from the fires as a child, nor from the storm IKE for it was all salt water and ruined it all. Thank you, hope you are doing well from your recovery.
    Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 AM

Wow!!!!
    Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM

boopisit, Please send me a PM with your address and the kind of material you like and I'll look in my stash and see what I have to send to you. I am trying to downsize my material to a sizeable, manageable amount. Do you need sewing notions? etc. Eiltcoq.
    Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 AM

You might check if you could get on e-mail notifications for estate sales in your area. Sometimes they have fabric and sewing notions. I recently got a real deal on some sewing machine needles and thread. You need to be careful that the thread is not too old though if you expect it to hold up in quilts.
    Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Originally Posted by vicki75
    ok...what is freecyle?? I guess I'm behind times...
    It's a group you can sign up on from Yahoo groups.
    My DH is on it and you'd be surprized what people want to give away or are looking for.
    Free Cycle is just that - things you or others have that they don't want, don't want to throw away and can't or don't want to see. It is all free. Generally if you want something someone offers you go pick it up.

I've not asked for quilting items though.....
    Sounds like just what I need!! Just how do I sign up for this?? Do I Google Yahoo groups and then sign up?? Confused!! I thank both of you for the tips!
    Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    So is freecycle on the internet? and what is the URL?
    www.freecycle.org

it will first ask you for the section you live in ie: west,north etc..then the state, city..and will list all the cites that have local message boards. some cities have more than one and you can join other ones in your area..surrounding cities. although they will ask for your zipcode..
    Thank you so much, Gonna try it !