Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Betcha never did this before >

Betcha never did this before

Betcha never did this before

Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have at least one or two pins that are stuck to the carpet when I bast a quilt.

Since we are on the subject..........Has anyone used one of those basting guns? Its like the guns you use to put tags on clothes. You load it with the plastic "Pins" and it has a needle that after you stick it and pull the trigger the plastic tie comes through the needle and its basted.

They are $27 at Hancock Fabrics and the plastic ties are $4 per 500 or so. I am thinking about buying one for the heck of it and try it out.

Billy
I loved those guns until I started dating my now hubby. Turns out, he loves them too. I found little plastic thingies in my pillow, mattress, clothes, carpet.... you name it, he'd found a way to tag it. Until he broke the gun, of course. He offered to replace it, but I don't want one around 'cause I know he'll just have to PLAY again!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Yep, more than once too :oops:
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Google Goddess

oh no, did you laugh, say bad words or cry
Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM

I recently used a basting gun to baste my wallhanging quilt. It was so much faster and the little tag thingys don't get in the way when I hand quilt in my hoop.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM

yes, i tried using the basting gun, when i lst started quilting, again, about 10 yrs ago. didn't like it. didn't hold the 'sandwich' completely in place like i liked. and i tried the spray bast also. didn't like that either. a quilting teacher in nashville, tenn taught my sister to sandwich your quilt on the floor, put a couple/3 saftly pins in the middle horizonaly, then transfer the quilt to a large table. this i mastered, and do. on a large antique refinished table with a real hard sturdy finish. pins, don't seem to bother it. the weight of the quilt sandwich, if left laying over nite gives it the correct 'pull' she said. for good measure, i add some fishing wts. on all sides to the batting, then to the backing, and then some to the top. these wts are about the size of a large blueberry. the next day, then i pin all the layers together, starting in the middle and working outwords. slide the pinned section off the table and then pin another section if it is a queen or king.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joe
I was pin basting my quilt on the living room rug like the video I watched on youtube suggested. Took forever I may try a different method next time. Anyway I finished got up pulled the pins holding the backing tight and couldn't pick my quilt up. I had basted it to the rug. LOL took me another 45 minutes to cut it off the rug.
My poor carpet would shudder when I would be holding a quilt in 1 hand and pins in the other...
Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM

I have found that using the basting gun works best if you use it sort of like making a stitch. After I insert the needle through the thickness I then come back up through the quilt before "pulling the trigger". When I did this I had already pinned basted it somewhat. That way I was able to lift up the quilt so I could take this "stitch". I think that this made a better anchor to hold the layers together rather than just going straight down.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 PM

I don't know about anyone else but I used a few words that I usually deny knowing! :mrgreen:
Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM

I have the basting gun, I also use it like pin, take a bite or stitch and then pull the trigger. The thing I don't like about it is the size of the holes it leaves in the quilt when you remove the tags.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM

It did leave a small hole. However I was able to work the fabric with my fingernail and gradually close the hole.