Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS questions?? >

LQS questions??

LQS questions??

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM

I work in a quilt shop, and if you came in, I would be more than happy to remove a bolt from the shelf so that you could look at any of the other bolts. Also, part of my job is to put bolts away. I get paid to do it, but I lalso love getting a chance to see if anything new has been added since my last work day. I believe that we are a very friendly, helpful group of people that love quilting as much as our customers. However, I like the bolts up on the wall so that there is more room to walk around and see all the other beautiful selections. If the shop owner and employees are doing their job, they will ask you if you need help - tell them. I feel that all the women I work with would be just as happy to make it easy to remove bolts. Happy customers make our days go better, too!
Originally Posted by JanetM
I am fortunate in that the LQS's in my area are very nice. My one pet peeve though is that the fabric bolts are so tightly arranged on the shelves that it is very difficult to remove a bolt to get a better look at the fabric. I know that they are trying to stock as many bolts as humanly possible but with carpal tunnel surgery and tendon issues I really have hurt myself removing fabric from the shelves. It is impossible for me to return the bolt to it's proper place, so I have glimpsed a dirty look or two because I have to leave them on the tables for the staff to restock. Okay, that is my vent for the day.

I do think offering a loyalty card would be a good idea. If you spend ??? dollars, you get a future discount, or something like that.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cashmommy11
the lqs in johnson city on Roan street is great
I've only been in there a few times, but I like the fact the staff is so helpful. They can find the fabric you are looking for easily. It is light, clean, organized. The staff seem willing and able to help with just about anything.
AND they fixed my sewing machine in only two days!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Here is my wish list:
Not having to bend over or squat down to look at bolts under the counter; sales staff who know about quilting; places to carry the bolts in order to see how they look together; Fresh smelling place with lots of light and not a shop that was previously owned by smokers;Lending library; web sites that have free patterns and links. Staff that do not hover and let you just browse.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Most quilt stores I have been in have been wonderful no matter how they organized their fabric. I did go in one in Nashville TN last August that was disorganized and a mess. My friend and I left, didn't even want to look.

In my dreams, I would love the good fabric to be less expensive. I like the loyalty programs too. My LQS is not returning after the last hurricane, so I have been on the look out for another. Friendliness is one of my top priorities. I have found one about 25 miles away that I think will be my store. I tend to buy the bulk of my fabric at one store but I like to visit around also.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by lindabeecher
As a partner in a small quilt/gift store, I have a unique perspective. Your lqs has fixed costs that they must pay every day. Fabric costs are continuing to rise, and it's hard to make any profit and keep the store looking great, have darling samples, offer classes, have knowledgeable experienced staff, etc., etc. AND have great deals and low prices. We strive to make our customers feel welcomed, important, and valued. Do the chains do that, or the "bargain fabric places"? If you like having an independent quilt store, prove it by shopping there.
Thank you for speaking up! It seems sometimes that some people feel there is a quilt store conspiracy to make gigantic profits on the backs of quilters . I know this is not the way it is, but I'm glad to hear from a quilt store owner!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I love our lqs!! Wonderful selection of fabrics. It IS too small and crowded but if they increase in space, they'll have to raise their prices - logically - and then I'd not be happy about that!! More tools - stencils in particular, would be nice, bigger classroom. They do have a frequent shopper card and they also have a bag to use on the fifth Saturday of the month -all you can STUFF in is 20% off!! Not a bad deal. When I walk in at least one person says my name - my stepdaughters said they thought they'd walked in to Cheers when they walked in with me!:) It is a great shop!!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I am lucky that I have 4 within 20 miles of me, in 1 direction or other. Surprisingly, they all carry different fabrics. Two have loyalty cards, the other 2 give 10% to guild members. I get an email newsletter from 2 of them & paper from a 3rd.The one used to be very crowded & I didn't buy much there. But they moved to a larger store & it seems more open now. Maybe it's just the tall ceilings & big windows.

I like the class offerings, even just the traditional stuff.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM

I love my LQS -- actually, it's not the one the closest, but I'll drive 50 miles RT to go there!!! I like it because they DO have the fabrics by manuf, and style (flannels in one area, children's prints in another) but they also have an area of fabrics by color. They have tons of notions, too. But the biggest reason I go there........they greet me with a smile, offer to help and DON'T force themselves on me. But if I need help, they are VERY helpful. One shop that I only go to if I'm in an emergency state, has one worker that grabs your bolt, says there's something over here you should see to go with it, then runs across the store. She then goes back and forth and tries to force fabrics on me. If I don't like something she asks "why?"...GRRRR :roll: One day, I was there for 1 yard to match a swatch. She tried to run me across the store 5 times...after the 4th I told her to bring me the bolt......:hunf:

Having chairs to relax would be AWESOME....but then, I'd probably spend more!!! :thumbup:
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by lindabeecher
As a partner in a small quilt/gift store, I have a unique perspective. Your lqs has fixed costs that they must pay every day. Fabric costs are continuing to rise, and it's hard to make any profit and keep the store looking great, have darling samples, offer classes, have knowledgeable experienced staff, etc., etc. AND have great deals and low prices. We strive to make our customers feel welcomed, important, and valued. Do the chains do that, or the "bargain fabric places"? If you like having an independent quilt store, prove it by shopping there.
Thank you for speaking up! It seems sometimes that some people feel there is a quilt store conspiracy to make gigantic profits on the backs of quilters . I know this is not the way it is, but I'm glad to hear from a quilt store owner!
As a customer, I have to respond. I only buy fabric from LQS. I don't shop at chain fabric stores for fabric. I am willing to pay for the higher quality. I have 10 LQS within 60 minutes of my home and I shop at them all, but I do notice that a couple have consistently lower prices for the same fabric as the others. I don't really care about the samples, the classes or how friendly the staff is. I just want lots of choices in fabric at a fair price.

I want to keep my LQS in business but there is a price level where I will move my shopping to the internet for the lower prices. I don't think that most quilt store owners are getting rich. But I make an effort to go to the ones with better prices whenever I can. It is important to recognize that customers have different priorities and just because some focus on price doesn't make them wrong, especially when they don't value the social aspects of a shop.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 PM

For the most part I love my LQS's. I especially like the owners who are interested in what I am making and offer help in choosing fabrics if I seem a bit lost. Sometimes they see a color or scale of print that I would not have chosen but turned out to be just the right choice. I don't feel they are just trying to push their fabrics, although I have found that situation on occasion and then I walk away.

What would I wish? I wish those loyalty cards were accepted no matter how old they are or if they have been discontinued.
I had a close friend who gave me her cards when she could no longer quilt. Combined with my own I could have received $50 to $100 in free fabrics. After all the money was spent in their shops to build that $250 or $500 required amount to fill them. They should still honor them. Needless to say I have not been in those shops since.