Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting and jury duty >

quilting and jury duty

quilting and jury duty

Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maride
In nY you can't even bring a book.
In my part on NY you can. I even brought crocheting - aluminum hook - but no scissors. Most airlines allow knitting needles now and crochet hooks, but it's best to check with the carrier. But no scissors. I use an empty dental floss container. Works like a charm! I bring embroidery also and have never had a problem.

But getting back to jury duty - I'm sure you can be excused because (1) you have children under 16, (2)you are nursing and if that fails and you are pregnant, have your doctor write a note that you are suffering from nausea. That should do it.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 AM

I have flown on two seperate occasions while working on my hand pieced quilt, I put my pins and needles and clippers in film canisters and pulled them out to show them, they said no problem. I have since seen women with knitting needles. You shouldn't have a problem. :)
Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 AM

I have been called for jury duty twice. Took hand work both times while waiting to be called into the courtroom, in my county you wait in a big room and wait and wait and wait!! So, there was no problem. Once taken to the court for quesitons by the attorneys (not the right term cannot remember), then it was put away. As far as on the airplanes, you can even take small scissor now, so having hand work is no problem. I would not take a king size quilt to work on since the seats are practically on top of each other LOL. Hope this helps you.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM

I went to the courthouse with a friend (ticket), and had to go through the machine with my purse. LOL, no bells or whistles went off for me, but my friend's car key set it off. In my purse were my car keys with a swiss army knife as the keyring. If I got in with that think what else you can get in there.
I'm with everybody about the knitting needles on the planes could do more damage than a nail clippers.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 AM
pal

Interesting fact: here in N.Y. if you are over 70 you have a choice to serve or not serve, although you must appear in person to make that choice.

Also, the bells went off when I was going in. They never found out what it was that set the bells off and passed me through anyway. Someone told me that if you have recently had that heart test, where you drink the radioactive material, that will set off the bells. (?????)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
as for how stupid they are: the judge asked everyone if they had a medical condition that might prevent them from serving properly. i said i would like to serve, but i sometimes had siezures and blacked out. the judge then asked me what happened when i blacked out. he got all pissy when i said i didn't know, i just woke up on the floor after i blacked out. duh! i swear, i said it with a straight face.
OMG, hahahahaha, that is too funny. I don't think I could've said it without an irritated tone
Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 AM

I'm positive the court will NOT let you bring the needle in. However, you will be able to take that stuff on the plane. You can even take some small, pointy scissors (4" in length. When I doubt I always go to the TSA website and see what they say. But I've been flying for quite awhile with small scissors. You can always find a nice little pair of rounded-tip scissors that will work for thread.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM

I think you could bring it to work on while you are in the "jury room," waiting. I've never served jury duty to my great disappointment. Everyone I know has done it. I've always wanted to and never been picked. My husband has done it three times. Sheesh. Why is it that they only pick people who don't want to serve. I think I'll live my whole life and never get picked. Ahem. But to get back to your question, you would not be able to work on it while sitting as a juror and listening to testimony, but from what I'm told, there is a lot of waiting. You could work on it them.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
eh. I got a summons a few months back and was able to get out of it till september because I am breast feeding my son. Like I will be done by then. Stupid people. But do you think they will let me take a quilt in to finish hand quilting the binding on? the same with flying. you are only using a very very very small needle. do you think that I could get away with bringing my quilting stuff? at least the quilt and the thread and the needle? Stupid criminals, getting in the way of my life. I am happy to serve but wish that I could bring my children with. Maybe will do that on selection day. hehe. at least my son who will still be breast feeding at a year and some days old.
The last time I had jury duty - I took hand sewing and they confiscated it all saying you can't have any kind of sharp instrument so if I were you I wouldn't bring anything like that there. Of course I got it back when I left
Old 05-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

At Little Rock airport if any thing is confiscated, there are different size mailers available, put the item in a mailer, address it to be sent where you want it mailed to, pay for it and be on your way.