Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you can >

Do you can

Do you can

Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
I too can every year. So far, I've done 37 quarts of white potatoes, 24 pints of corn, 26 quarts of veg. soup, and 9 quarts of salsa. Apples will be done in October and anything else I can get my hand on between now and then.

Buttercream and Piedmond:
Wow, sounds like you do as much canning as i do. I haven't canned corn as usually we can't get too much of it at a good price but I may go and get a gunny bag of it at the farm we visited a couple days ago and can some. Corn is my fav. Here in the Pacific NW we are very lucky to have so much fruit, berries and veggies in such abundance...we definately live in the "banana belt." I also can soups, stews and meat. Started doing this for my mom who is 88 years old and still lives independently. She had a pot of soup on the stove everyday of my life but a few years back she said she just didn't make good soup anymore so I started making it and canning it for her. I do split pea, winter veggy, chicken, turkey, chili and "Refrigerator Special" which is whatever is in the frig that I want to use up ...soup it and can it and we love it!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Today I have canned chow chow: 2 quarts, 1 pint, and 7 half-pints.
I have 4 quarts of corn in the pressure canner and 4 more waiting for their turn. I'd have more progress today, but it takes a long time to can the corn, and my pressure canner only holds 4 quarts. I'm almost out of jars! I still have a bunch of green tomatoes and a few ripe ones to can. I also have a head and a half of cabbage to do something with. I may can some soup and use it or just cook it and eat it now! I don't like the flavor of canned cabbage.
I don't know how many jars of salsa I have. I was up until 12:30 this morning working on it.
I only canned 4 quarts of plain tomatoes. I love them to make "thickened tomatoes" and biscuits (or tomato gravy, as some call it).
I may just can the last batch of tomatoes without peppers, onions, and garlic.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Buttercream and Piedmont...your canning sounds wonderful. I have speghetti sauce in the pressure canner as I write this...jars and I'm out of tomatoes so will have to go pick more tomorrow. Also want to get some corn ...I've never canned corn but want to give it a try. I dry potatoes but after reading Piedmont's list of what she's doing, I think I might give that a try too. In my whole life I've canned ONLY 1 pint of potatoes. Don't ask me why ONLY 1 PINT??? I have no answer but I have soup that I like to make so canned potatoes would go good in it . I usually dry them and they turn out wonderful.

Just back from a week at the Fair. I won 28 blue ribbons, 12 Reds and 2 whites on my canned and baked goods. I love the fair and can't wait til next year however, I'm REALLY glad it's over for this year. :lol:

Keep your canning going. Post some pictures. I'd love to see what all you are doing.
Feathers
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Feathers, can I come live with you?
25cents/pound for tomatoes and $3/bucket of peppers, and $1.25/doz corn? OH MY!! Here, they are bringing in "old" corn and selling it for $1EACH!!! They do grow local corn here which is really good, but even that is pricey. They sell that at roadside stands for $15/dozen.
YES, FIFTEEN DOLLARS A DOZEN!!!
Where are you Feathers??
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi Terri:
I'm in the Pacific NW - SW Washington. We have lovely fruit and veggies and tho we sometimes think they are expensive I have to admit, $15 a dozen for corn is wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced. I think I'll never complain again when we have to pay 4/for $1.00 prices. :lol: Yes, you can come live with us. I'd put you to work canning and quilting. It would be fun! If you could come before mid- Sept. you could go quilting retreating with us at the coast.
Feathers
Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
Hi Terri:
I'm in the Pacific NW - SW Washington. We have lovely fruit and veggies and tho we sometimes think they are expensive I have to admit, $15 a dozen for corn is wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced. I think I'll never complain again when we have to pay 4/for $1.00 prices. :lol: Yes, you can come live with us. I'd put you to work canning and quilting. It would be fun! If you could come before mid- Sept. you could go quilting retreating with us at the coast.
Feathers
I'd love to go and visit/live with you but don't think hubby would like it at the moment.
Wonder if there are any flights headed to WA? lol
Yes, fruits and veggies are very expensive here. I was at the store yesterday and the price were down for peaches, plums and pears....$69/lb, which is good. But, bananas were at $1.89/lb. I'm just glad that my gardener will drop off some to me when he comes. They might just be the little finger ones, but they are really sweet and the best part....FREE!!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:38 PM

CROCK POT APPLE BUTTER

5 quarts finely chopped apples
4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cloves
4 tsp. cinnamon

Fill a 5 quart crock pot heaping full with finely chopped apples. (Tart apples are best.) Drizzle 4 cups sugar (or less, depending upon sweetness of apples), 4 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves and 1/4 teaspoon salt, over the apples. Cover. (Lid may not fit tightly at start, but apples will shrink as cooked.) Begin cooking on high, then lower heat and cook all day until thick and dark color. Stir occasionally.

I made this last year and once the people at thebarn tasted it they went through 12 pts in under 2 months.

Thanks for the recipies I am printing them off now LOL
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 PM

years ago when i canned regularly, i had a recipe for :lol: wine jelly.
yes! i got the recipe from the ball recipe book. is it still in there? if not. you can probably substitute wine for grape juice and go from there. YUM! :wink:

i also put up quarts of tomato sauce every year, as well as chokecherry jam, copanata. does anyone else dry herbs or make herb butters? or freeze veggies instead of canning?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 AM

Never heard of wine jelly.
Found this on a search.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wine-Jelly/Detail.aspx

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Wine-Jelly/

Also found this site for canning too.
http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM

I've never made wine jelly but have a friend who makes it all the time for gifts. It's gorgeous.

I'm going to post some pictures of the fair items I got ribbons on. All you who can and preserve, don't forget to put your stuff in the Fair. It's so fun and it doesn't cost anything to enter stuff in the fair but a bit of time. I'm a huge ambassador for the Fairs across the country. I'm so fearful we are going to lose track of this wonderful piece of our Americana. The county fairs use to be as big as Christmas if not bigger in the "olden" days. :lol:

Blue Ribbon Exhibits - not all exhibits are shown. Had baked goods that didn't make it in the picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43376[/ATTACH]

Red Ribbon Fair exhibits - not all exhibits are shown. Had baked goods that didn't make it in the picture. After a week in the barn they didn't look too appitizing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43472[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-43376.jpe   attachment-43472.jpe