Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos >
  • Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

• Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM

The room where I do the actual sewing is pretty organized and decorated. It holds four set up machines at this time and a small cutting area. It was my daughter's bedroom before she married and moved to her own home. It also houses my computer and a good bit of storage for books, and office like stuff, printer, copier etc.
    The room where I cut fabric and store my stash is in the basement. It houses a large ironing station and one of those large cutting tables from Joanns. The cutting table is almost buried in piles and rubber containers of fabric as I am in constant production of Linus quilts. The rest of the room has shelves full of fabric stored in plastic containers. Despite the appearance of that room it is fairly organized. I recently paved the area in front of the cutting table and underneath my ironing statin with those foam interlocking puzzle like pieces. They help to ease my legs as the floor in the basement is on concrete.
    Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM

I do all that type of organizing too, just have to stop & put alot of fqs away occasionally & other clutter, that seems to add up. I just blame most of my problem on lack of space to actually put it all away, just like the rest of this house, lol...
    Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM

My room was always small and messy, we are in the process of extending it with an addition and a new 18 X 24 ft room which is currently under construction. The intention will be to keep it neet and organized. I'll post again when the project is complete.
    Old 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM

no, i'm not organized. but i just moved all my sewing stuff into half the basement. sorry that was last nov. i just put my order in for a metal 'records file cabinet' from a dr's office, and if i get that, i intend to use plastic boards, and stand all my fabric. right now, i have a ping pong table for cutting, and 2 banquet tables, and 4 metal shelving units. so, organized choas. i guess
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm mostly organised, I like everything clean and tidy, everything in it's place if you know what I mean, but when I get to the quilting stage of a large quilt, my sewing room is what you would call 'in a chaotic state'. :lol: It's hard to put up with for me, but not much I can do about it!
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM

My sewing room is also our guest room with a double bed in it. Since I have so little room for my quilting stuff, I have managed to make it highly efficient. I have it decorated, since it is a guest room, but mostly because that is my "girly place" as well as my sewing room. Sometimes I retreat in there with a magazine and a cup of tea, just to dream about my next project, so I want it a place where all my favorite things surround me. I am more organized in that room than any other room of my house. Being in the middle of a project and having to stop for an hour to look for something, because it isn't in its spot, no fun at all. When I am in the middle of a project, I do tend to pile up fabric on the bed. I do have to straighten everything between projects. I recently organized all my loose patterns, into file folders, by catagory...pieced, applique, paper pieced, etc... I have fabric EVERYWHERE...in bins under the bed, under my cutting table, in the closet, on shelves for decoration, and it is oraganized in several ways, color, style, by project. I have sewn and quilted for decades, and always had to sew in a corner of my livingroom or diningroom, until about a year ago...kids are now on their own. I LOVE my sewing room!!!
    Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM

i gotta be a least a bit organized:
    1: older, nudging elderly = forgetful. easier to find if it's where it's supposed to be.
    2: craft room very small; if i'm going to work in here, then what i'm not working on must be out of the way.
    3: must have a space nearby to safely stow my coffee/tea cup while i'm working.
    4: roflol !
    Old 10-30-2010, 08:05 PM

Mine are organized,but it's because they have to be. I have a formal dining room and have never had a large dinner in my life,so that became the room where I put my computer desk,2 glass showcases that were gifts and a wood kitchen table that I sew on. That's my work room an the room people can come and pick up their quilts,so it has to stay neat. The 2nd room I have is a bedroom that my daughter had and is now a supply room.If someone orders a quilt, then I don't want them going into a messy room to pick their fabric.I probably wouldn't be so organized otherwise.
    Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 PM

I am a little of both organized & messy. When it gets to the point that when I step in the door & it looks like a storms been through, I must take the time to straighten up & put away or throw away in some cases.

My stash is getting to be a problem as I know I have certain things but it has got to where I spend too much time looking for things. A quilting buddy said she would help me get organized but it is so bad I'm embarrased to have her come help. What to do! :-(
    Old 10-30-2010, 08:44 PM

I rent but I've decorated it as much as I can given the size and available space. All my stuff is organized in that area, however some bulkier things are in the garage and since this area doesn't have a closet I'm using the entry closet (which is the smallest, weirdest shape and generally useless) to hang my rulers and tops. I have a design wall that hosts many UFO's, current inspirations and a few 'experiments'.

The way the house is set up, when you come down the bit of entry hall the main living spaces all open from there. I love coming in and seeing my sewing area at the back. It's so colorful and bright and I can sit and sew at a moments notice. :D :D :D

Welcome to the board too!!!! :thumbup: