Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • over fifty and knee are hurting >
  • over fifty and knee are hurting

• over fifty and knee are hurting

Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I have arthritis bad also, had a complete knee replacement done last year and it is like new. Therapy included a lot of riding stationary bike. They said that was better than walking while recuperating.
    Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM

I started with osteo-arthritis in my teens....I will be 60 in a few weeks. Last year I had my right thumb joint replaced. What relief!!! First time in about 20 years or so that I have no pain in the joint anymore...I can actually pick things up without fear of dropping. Left hand will be done sometime in the next couple of years. I get my left hip replaced Feb.7th. I used to walk a lot...now it is too painful. I am REALLY looking forward to walking again!! I will get as much walking done as I can while I still have a little cartiledge left in the right hip.

I have taken glucosamine sulfate, (GLS) for years. It really does help.

Life really is an adventure....just some of the adventures I could take a pass on. LOL

Patti
    Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM

My sister has RA and worked until she was in her 70's. Asked her why she was still working and she said that when she moves she is able to move pretty good, and when she doesn't move around she really has a problem with being stiff and sore.
    Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
    I started with osteo-arthritis in my teens....I will be 60 in a few weeks. Last year I had my right thumb joint replaced. What relief!!! First time in about 20 years or so that I have no pain in the joint anymore...I can actually pick things up without fear of dropping. Left hand will be done sometime in the next couple of years. I get my left hip replaced Feb.7th. I used to walk a lot...now it is too painful. I am REALLY looking forward to walking again!! I will get as much walking done as I can while I still have a little cartiledge left in the right hip.

I have taken glucosamine sulfate, (GLS) for years. It really does help.

Life really is an adventure....just some of the adventures I could take a pass on. LOL

Patti
    Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Good luck to you and keep us posted
    Old 11-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks, Whitney, I will. And everyone on here that has said the more you move, the better your mobility, really is so right.

One of the young gals at work was teasing me last week. I had to get a note down the hall to our manager. I said I was going to "run it down the hall". Says she.."you're going to run?". So I started to swing my arms as if I was running. We all had a good laugh. hehehe It surely does help to be able to laugh at yourself.

Patti
    Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 PM

If you like sweet things you might want to do a little experiment. I find that when I eat sweet things I hurt more. Sugar is an inflammatory and if you have joint pain this may cause it to be worse than it has to be.
    Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Okay...I'll keep walking. My knees do feel better when I get my walking in.

My question is "What do I do about the pain in my hands?" My right index finger knuckle is twice the size of the others and feels like it has needles sticking into it. Some days it is quite red and hot...other days it just aches. It wakes me up. Also, the first joints near the tip of my fingers keep dislocating and I have to pop them back into place. My fingers are becoming twisted and deformed. What do I do to save my hands sso I can continue to do my handwork?
    Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 AM

Gwyn....I have found for my hands Aspercreme helps, and they make an odor-free so you can use it in public without offending anyone.

Patti
    Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 AM

I did not know that sugar is an inflammatory. I have a big sweet tooth. Looks like I'm going to have to cut that out of my diet.

Originally Posted by JudithAnn
    If you like sweet things you might want to do a little experiment. I find that when I eat sweet things I hurt more. Sugar is an inflammatory and if you have joint pain this may cause it to be worse than it has to be.