Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky, wonky, wonky... >

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I have a vintage top on the longarm that looks...well..... Nothing is square about it, it's about 6" narrower at one end than the other, it's drifts off to the left, many of the blocks are "belled", etc. At this point I think I'd rather have a bunch of bees in my underwear than finish this. Ugh!!!
Could you POSSIBLY cut out some good sections from it and make those into a quilt? Kinda like a disappearing 9-patch? It sure would be worth a try rather than inviting those bees in, LOL.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:58 AM

It's a vintage top...so does that mean you're trying to preserve it as is?...or do you have the freedom to true it up with a ruler and rotary cutter after you've quilted it? Good luck!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by smagruder
Eddie, everything I have seen that you have done is magnificent. I know you will end up with a happy quilt. ... you always do.
I second this.. I have never seen a 'bad' quilt from you..
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm now guessing that this is what someone ELSE brought in for you to quilt?

I think you might be doing everyone a favor (especially yourself) and tell the customer that some things just are "beyond the pale" as far as what you can do with them.

Maybe explain what can and can't be done - it's hard to make a satin gown out of a rotten potato sack.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 AM

Well, Eddie, if anyone can do it you can. When you show us the picture of it we will be admiring your work I am sure.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Know exactly what you mean, Eddie!!! When someone says, "I've got a top that my(grandmother, mother, aunt....)pieced. Do you think you could?", I shudder and start praying that they never follow up. Even though those tops are fascinating, historical, nostalgic, etc., they are invariably as painful to quilt as bees in your drawers. ;)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Well said. I have a hand pieced double wedding ring in a drawer that has been waiting to be quilted for well over 50 years. My ML did the piecing and it is only fair. I have had it about 15 years, but have not had the courage to quilt it. I would like to do it by hand. My less than wonderful quilting shills would match her piecing skills. Fabrics are from the 40’s and back, so it is interesting.
Originally Posted by bearisgray
I'm now guessing that this is what someone ELSE brought in for you to quilt?

I think you might be doing everyone a favor (especially yourself) and tell the customer that some things just are "beyond the pale" as far as what you can do with them.

Maybe explain what can and can't be done - it's hard to make a satin gown out of a rotten potato sack.
:-D :-D :D :D
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

Yes, this is a vintage quilt top that a customer brought me, one of several. The top itself is strip pieced blocks, i.e., the quilter took a bunch of random strips and pieced them together into 6" blocks, and then sewed the blocks together. Then, to "quilt" it, they sewed individual squares of fabric to the back of each block making it a lightweight quilt. This further complicates things because it restricts how much that I can pull and tug on the top to try and get things to lay flat. So I'm quilting it on the longarm and quilting through the original top and "backing" they did, and through my batting and solid backing.

I've got it about 3/4 of the way done, it has just been a real challenge. Too, those strips pieced into the blocks, a lot of them have pleats in them, etc. But the main problem seems to be those squares of "backing" they sewed to the back of each block, since they are really limiting how much I can pull and tug on this thing. Oh, well, we shall do what we can do to salvage it!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Eddie,
I really admire your quilting and you are such an inspiration to all of us "newer" and "older" quilters alike! I would as a newer longarm quilter would love to see pictures or even hear how you work these out. I don't know if that is possible or if you would have the time, but I guess I'm asking because it would be such a learning experience for us too. I too, most definetly would love to see after you're done quilting pictures also.
Judy
Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM
EC

Oh, Eddie, there's a place waiting for you in heaven! I'm sure you'll make the owner proud, your work is always beautiful. I'm afraid I would have chickened out and returned it, if I even had a longarm. Can't wait to see it finished.