Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party? >

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Anyone have a Guild Christmas Party?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Our Guild had a potluck and one member donated a turkey; another member cooked it. We have show and tell and then go around the tables picking up one 5" square that participants bring. In January you are supposed to bring whatever you made with the squares.

Last year we had 4-1/2" squares (I might add it is from Christmas material). It's always fun to see what people make from their squares
Old 12-19-2010, 11:39 AM

In the past since we had only four or five that could make it . I would make the invitations and attach small button scissors as part of the decoration. Then I would bring out my pink depression dishes. The old globets that had chips around the rims I filled with water and placed floating candles in them and used them as my center piece. I then made tea sandwhiches and strawberry pretzel dessert. yum. My husband made his wonderful potatoe soup. My husband being the best one on earth agreed to serving us. And he even cleaned up after we were though with the tea. We each bought pesents for each other. No price limit as their were some who just didn't have the extra. You would be surprised what wonderful gifts you would get. Some of my most memoriable ones were table toppers, one bought us sewing machine lamps. I gave as a hostess gift little angels hanging from a coat hanger with a message attached to hang in there you get it some day. Things that pertained to learning new techiques. And the one who taught us to quilt and held the classes at her house we all chipped in an bought her a gift. One year it was a travel case for her light weight sewing machine and supplies, another year it was a turn table cutting mat. We all had fun. And more than that my socks were blessed right off my feet. Merry Christmas to all and remember it is just taking time to be together and sharing the excitment of family and friends.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My guild is having ours this next week. We have potluck and a silent auction table. We usually have entertainment from a soloist or speaker from a local civic/church/club group. This year we are having an ornament exchange. Bring an ornament and get an ornament. I was wondering about what other guilds do at their Christmas program.
Hi BellaBoo!! Our guild had our Party Mon. eve!!! We had a group of Madrigel(SP) Musicans and a potluck dinner... we palayed a game at the end where each of us brought 3 fat quarters and played Left-Right-Center who ever was left with 1 fat Quarter, won the pile in the middle!!! ( I lost)
But it was a fun night!!!!
Haven't seen you here in awhile.... good to hear from you!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Our Busy Bee Quilt guild had our party a few wks ago, we also do Left to Right poem.. We have alot of fun with that.Everyone who wanted was ask to make 2 hot pads or mitts for exchange. There was 21 girls that took part, so many pretty hot pads & designs. Our meal is catered by the church people where we meet. It was stuffed chicken breast,veggie,chantile potatos, salad, brownie sundae.. Yummy!! we also exchange fat quarters & everyone rec. a gift from the quild. Nice group of girls. :thumbup:
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Our party was very nice also. We did the revealing of the Secret Sister, homemade ornament exchange with the Mrs. Wright story, buy tickets for $1.00 - you could win a nice price, a 50/25/25 drawing - again buyng a ticket for $1.00, a great meal and then we played this game where you had a button attached to a long piece of yarn. You form even number of people in rows (we had three rows). The first person in line has to take the button-yarn go down her clothes, the person next to her goes up her slacks and shirt passes it to the next person, etc. It is so much fun and a lot of laughing. Then we also had show and tell.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Ours is a relatively small guild, probably about 25 for the annual Xmas party. Last couple years they had it at a members house, but this year it was held at the church where we have our regular meetings.

We also do a potluck, play a round of Quilt Trivia w/fat quarters for winners (tho everyone gets one in the end); small gift exchange (under $10/wrapped) with the Mrs. Wright cookie story game. The last couple years they had everyone put down 10 things they wanted to accomplish over the next year and put it in a sealed envelope to be opened at the next year Xmas party. When these are opened & read, they had a small prize for the one who managed to accomplish everything on her list.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 PM

We have Pot Luck, always to much food. Play "Dirty Santa". We have show and tell at every meeting. Plan next's years calandar and talk, talk, talk. I love my guild. Our meeting is the first Wed of the month so it's a nice way to get Dec started.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Look on the inter-net for Lefty- Righty game. We got the rules from Ask.com
Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Look on the inter-net for Lefty- Righty game. We got the rules from Ask.com We had a party planned, but got snowed out.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Guild #1 The Guild provided the meats and we did a pot luck for salads, sides and desserts.....showed our first or early quilts and my we have come a long way. We had a gift circle exchange where we sit in a circle and the Moderator reads a story with lots of lefts and rights in it,You guessed it......we hand the packages off to the left or right as instructed.......then keep the one we end up with. Fun.
#2 Guild we had the pot luck but instead of gift exchange we brought food for the local Food Bank. We did show and tell did some planning for next year and some games.