Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 1/4" seam allowance >
  • 1/4" seam allowance

• 1/4" seam allowance

Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

Seems to me that your original seams joining the triangles to the middle square are more than 1/4". I agree, though, to leaving the ones you've finished just as they are since they do not in any way detract from your lovely quilt!

Originally Posted by GrammaO
    Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the feedback. I think I'll tackle it again in the morning. The first border has flying geese blocks and I need to make sure that they're all going to fit. Of course, it's for my DGD and she isn't going to care about the points. Just trying to figure out where I'm going wrong so the next quilt will be better.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM

No No No, you need to find out if your block is under or over sized first. put a stack of "post a note" down to measure your your 1/4 inch seam allowance. I think this is your problem. Put the needle down, and then measure where the 1/4 inch is and put the "post a note" down on that spot and remeasure it to be sure it is on the right spot. Sew a small piece of fabric and then measure it to see it it is accurate. Please do not cut your block with out measuring it first!!! It is very important to have all the blocks the same size.
    Jan
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

as long as you don't cut the points off, it's fine. and as long as your blocks measure what they are supposed to in order to fit with others, it will work well.
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I personally would trim the blocks, making sure there is a 1/4" beyond each point. Then trim the princess blocks that same size, BUT - that is just ME! I am fussy about my own work, where if I saw that in someone else's quilt, it probably wouldn't bother me as much. So basically what I am saying is, do whatever makes you happy.
    Good luck! :)
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

One of the first quilts I did with instructions off of Simply Quilts was a square within a square and don't you NEED that little bit so when you sew the blocks together, you won't be sewing into that end point? Looks better to have this at the sides than too close because then you will be sewing over the points....Am I right or not?
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 PM

It looks like before you joined your blocks it would come out rightr when you sew them together using 1/4 " seam measure your blocks before joining them & make sure with the 1/4 " seam the blocks are the right size . It looks like if you sewed them together it would be the right size ..
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Suggestion:
    Have a moderator change your subject title to 1/4" seam allowance/setting points (or the professional name for it) and put this post in our tutorial section, please.
    the tutorials section is exclusively for posting lessons members have written themselves that they'd like to share with the rest of us. those lessons are focused, organized, and include step-by-step instructions along with illustrations.

questions related to quilting are best posted here in Main.

this is an example of a proper tutorial. by an "interesting coincidence" i just happened to pic an example that talks about 1/4" seams. now, what are the odds of that? :lol:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM

I think it looks fine, but if it bothers you quilt over it.
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I have made this block many times. When sewing the triangle to the block I always fold block in half and put a pin in the center of each side of square, do the same with the triangle, then match the pins and sew to the block when all are sewn on I square up the block to the called for size. Make sure you don't stitch through the point when seaming it to the other block. One pattern I used did have the blocks looking like yours and as long as I squared them , I left them alone and when quilted you couldn't even see where they met. Your blocks look great. Keep up the good work.

Suzy
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Can't wait to see it finished - it looks like it will be adorable