Do you have a home remedy?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM

I've heated a wet folded washcloth in the microwave (not too hot!), put salt on it and laid down with my ear/jaw on it after I read somewhere that it might work. Don't know if it truly helped, but it didn't hurt and the warmth actually felt good. I've been reading recently about treatment using Neti pots and decongestants, but I've never used them myself.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM

My Great Grandmother used the onion juice thing on one of my kids, and I was amazed. Don't know what it does, but it works What else do we need to know. Those old remedies are good
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Have him try nose drops or spray(not in his ears but his nose).
Put wet warm heat on the ear and also take benedryl.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sheila bee
Originally Posted by irishrose
My son and daughter swear by the candles sold in the natural food store. Personally, I don't want anyone lighting a candle that close to my hair, but they did work. Neither has problems any more.
Works great !!!!
Use them when ever my ears bother me. I love them. My GD asks for them now if her ears are bothering her. Garlic and Mullien oil warm before and after.
Please don't over do. This is not a case of" If one good two are better." Wait 24 hours before doing a second one if the ear is still stuffy .
Surprisingly I have found that sometimes they even help my sinuses.
Just make sure you have a good brand (got on once that the wax melted and burned my ear) And you know someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My son and daughter swear by the candles sold in the natural food store. Personally, I don't want anyone lighting a candle that close to my hair, but they did work. Neither has problems any more.
Just wanted to say that these candles have a hollow center won't work with just any old candle.

Tell him to put a cotton ball in his ear it helps to keep the cold out and sometimes that is all it needs,best of luck
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Sweet oil is a great remedy! And according to my doctor, be very leery of using undiluted peroxide in your ear. It kills natural bacteria and can cause injury.
To be used only once a month or less due to harming the good bacteria that grows in your ear.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:41 PM

I suffer from reoccuring ear aches. I've mixed one crushed garlic clove in 1/4 cup olive oil and stored it in a glass bottle. If you have an eye drop bottle it would be more convienent. I place a drop into my ear then stuff a cotten ball to hold it in over night or as long as I can and the pain goes away. :thumbup:
Old 01-23-2011, 03:26 PM

My husband and I have both used Similac ear drops for an earache - homeopathic - I have no idea what's in it, but after a couple of doses - no more pain.

I've used the candle wicking on one of my daughters, and it worked really well. My husband also uses a nasal aspirator to blow water in his ear to get the wax out (gross)
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM

It scare the wits out of me, when I hear all these things. My ear doctor says they don't hurt, but they don't ultimately solve the problem. He should go to a doctor and have his ear irrigated thoroughly as this sounds like a problem I've had for many years. The wax in the ear when it does not find the passage out, accumulates and can be very irritating and also can cause loss of hearing. Take it from one who knows, get him to the ear doctor before any damage is done.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM

Have him lie down on his side and drop a few drops of plain 3% hydrogen peroxide into his ear. Wait a few minutes, put a tissue over the ear to catch the liquid; then turn over and repeat in the other ear. Works wonders for stuffy ears or earaches AND for sore throats, believe it or not.