Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM

There is a 1935 black FW at my local SM repair shop for sale. It has a good case, one hemming foot, straight stitch foot, foot control & power cord like new, bobbin carrier, fully serviced by a very experienced repairman. He is the go to guy for most of the Quilt Guild members here. He is asking $295. I am willing to get pictures if anyone is interested. She looked pretty good overall. That's a pretty early one...they started in 1933. If anyone is interested I could arrange purchase & shipping for you.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by greenini
Ah, thanks, it's not a FW that I'm familiar with. Gee, how many new machines are they calling FW? Couldn't they at least use FW II or some designation so we know what it is????
Technically, I think the 221 & 222 weren't originally called 'Featherweights' - that was a name people called them and got picked up. The 322 was designated a Featherweight by the company from the beginning. It does make things confusing if you are looking for a 221 or 222 and see 'Featherweight' advertised - you really need to see pictures to know what you are getting.
Here's a link to some original Singer advertising for the Featherweight. It's on Graham Forsdyke's website.
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...vertising.html

Sharon W.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by greenini
Ah, thanks, it's not a FW that I'm familiar with. Gee, how many new machines are they calling FW? Couldn't they at least use FW II or some designation so we know what it is????
Technically, I think the 221 & 222 weren't originally called 'Featherweights' - that was a name people called them and got picked up. The 322 was designated a Featherweight by the company from the beginning. It does make things confusing if you are looking for a 221 or 222 and see 'Featherweight' advertised - you really need to see pictures to know what you are getting.

Here's a link to some original Singer advertising for the Featherweight. It's on Graham Forsdyke's website.
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...vertising.html

Sharon W.
Cool! The ads do say Featherweight! One of the FW sites said it was coined later. BTW, I love the ad with the negligee and the hot water bottle!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 AM

My FW needs a 301A big sister............
Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 AM

I have a Featherweight 221 that's older than I am. Just thought I'd join in the conversation here.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 AM

Just added another FW to mine, bought one for DH! Yes he wanted one for his BD coming up in Nov. I couldn't wait and got it early; it is a badged Cenntinial his birth year. He sets it up, sits back looking at it, says"its so cute" LOL

I also got to buy one for a friend, after she saw my "Lizzie". Fun to buy a FW I don't have to pay for :)
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 AM

Of course I have one. Doesn't every quilter. Bonus is mine is white
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 AM

I came really close to buying one from Grahm Fordyske's site, I love it!!! Then I got sensible and really started looking. The 1st 3 I saw were in an antique store in Va and $400 each and not in any nice condition, looked pulled out of closets, if not barns. I really think that Ebay and such have made more of them available and cheaper (because they seem less rare now) and certainly more visible. I still rarely see them in antique stores AND they are still usually higher priced, tho not usually all $400! I finally found mine in a small Texas town for $130, I thought that was an ok price, she's not a princess, but sews like a champ.

I got offered a 301 on the trip in VT, completely not cleaned up, no accessories, but a nice case for $200, guess they've twigged to those too. I did find a 99 for $45 that I bought and passed on to a friend, that seemed reasonable to me, guess they don't know we want those yet!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Love this Featherweight blog. I learn something everyday on this Board. I have a question - Is a "Red Eye" always a treadle machine, converted, or always been electric??
Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota
Love this Featherweight blog. I learn something everyday on this Board. I have a question - Is a "Red Eye" always a treadle machine, converted, or always been electric??
They were originally a treadle or hand crank. Later when electric motors for home machines became available, many treadle machines were converted to electric.