Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Red face 4 Featherweights

Hi- I just found this wonderful place and joined. I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but... I have 4 featherweights, -I had 5 but gave 1 to my sister-, a treadle, a fancy Brother ( that I never use) and a red eye. I am a crafter and I sew every day. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and trading featheweight stories.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kookie View Post
Hi- I just found this wonderful place and joined. I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but... I have 4 featherweights, -I had 5 but gave 1 to my sister-, a treadle, a fancy Brother ( that I never use) and a red eye. I am a crafter and I sew every day. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and trading featheweight stories.
A big welcome to you Kookie. I promise you that you will be spending way too much time here. And if you feel the need of a few more vintage machines we will gladly enable you.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 AM

Hi Kookie...welcome from Florida! You will love this Board and all the wonderful members here. I have numerous vintage machines, including featherweights, which I absolutely love. I have a featherweight table and keep one of my little machines ready to use at all times.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Welcome to the QB, Kookie, you will like it here with all of us. Have you visited the Vintage sewing machine site yet? There is a lot of information there from the members on all kinds of vintage machines, and then the site with the photos of the machines. I have 2 FW and a Singer 99. Would love to add more but am now looking for interesting and different attachments that will fit my machines.
Janis
Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Hi, I had my new white Featherweight lubed and cleaned and have a question for you. Do the white Featherweights sew slower than the black ones? This machine seems much slower than my little black one. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Pat
pats8e8
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8 View Post
Hi, I had my new white Featherweight lubed and cleaned and have a question for you. Do the white Featherweights sew slower than the black ones? This machine seems much slower than my little black one. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Pat
pats8e8
I would think that I would call the person who serviced your Featherweight and ask. Compare the motors on both machines. I don't think there should be a speed difference. Have you considered that the foot controller may be the problem?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I would think that I would call the person who serviced your Featherweight and ask. Compare the motors on both machines. I don't think there should be a speed difference. Have you considered that the foot controller may be the problem?
I was also going to suggest that the foot controller might need adjusting.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM

Yes I do! I call it my happy machine because the noise it makes is so sweet.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8 View Post

Thanks,
Pat
pats8e8
All machines are not the same.The black ones have gears inside.the white ones ..have a belt.The black ones have lube tubes on the motors.some of the white ones do not.the foot control on the black ones un pluges .some do some do not on the white.Let me try to make it simple.The motor on the white one is a more powerful motor..04 vs.0.58.The first fix i would try is simple.It s called motor burn out.Some of these machines have been setting for 30 to 40 years.Un hook belt from machine and run motor for 5 to 10 min.at high speed.IT may smell or it may get hot but after a while you will here the pitch change.When it does you will see a big difference in the speed.Ihave worked on a lot of featherweights and it works most of the time good luck ,let me know if it works.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chergram View Post
I have one got then had to send to shop to have fixed it was there about three weeks waiting for parts just had back since mothers day had wanted one for a long time was happy to find it even if it did have to have parts and when i payed to get it fixed it only cost about 258 dollars I am happy with it but have been piecing on it has anyone done the actul quilting on it it seems sort of small for that also has anyone done the quilt as you go am thinking of doing that if anyone has a site i can check out post thanks
Have tried a bit of quilt as you go, but have only done a couple of blocks, no sewing together yet.
Have successfully quilted a couple of kids quilts/lap quilts, a baby quilt and a wall hanging on mine so far. Have also made a couple of RenFaire full length cloaks and a RenFaire costume (not quite a 'court dress', but close) with Sophie. Not sure how she will do on the queen size quilt I have in the works.