Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
PatsBeB Congratulations on your new little machine. I'm sure you will enjoy her a lot once you find out what you need to do to get it working right. Have you named her yet? I know that I really enjoy sewing with my FWs. They are great little machines. Enjoy!!!
Thanks Janis,
She is in the shop now, the cord had been wrapped with electrical tape, I didn't even take it off to look, the people at my shop are wonderful and will fix her up super. No, I haevn't named her, I don't usually name my machines. Only my big Janome 1600Pro. And I call that one The Beast, because it will eat your fingers if you're not careful. I am looking forward to taking my new white machine to our quilt retreat in March. I still need to get my Featherweight table out where my husband will trip over it, so he will remember to fix it. It is missing a strap that holds the machine in place, he says he can fix it, here's hoping. ha
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I have a white (celery) FW, a black one and 2 301A's - All but one was bought from Goodwill online and just needed a little TLC. I had 3 more, but a lady bought all of them a few weeks ago. Keep looking - you'll find one!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM

I finally got my featherweight finished. Was waiting for my husband to finish up the wiring and make sure she could sew. She is a 1945 blackside that was in terrible shape. We had a friend repaint her. The color is the same as my husband's truck-a black metallic (we had left-over paint). She is really pretty in person, the pictures-not so much. No name yet.

Pat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]308549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]308551[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quiltingboard-post-featherweight.jpg   quiltingboard-post-featherweight-faceplate.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 AM

Fluffygirl, was your 1945 FW in the group of Sept. 19, 1945? Mine is in that group. I know there were some FW made between July of 1941 and Sept. 1945 that are not listed in the FW serial number listings. I'm thinking that the numbers were assigned to a certain model of machine but weren't all used for that model, and were used for others that they needed to make. Was her face plate originally black too? Mine isn't. Thank you for the info.

I love the table that you have for your 1957 FW, MaryAnnMc. I would love to have a table!!

I have a friend who is looking for a 1958 for his girlfriend as that's when she was born. Does any one out there have one for sale?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Janis;4941699]Fluffygirl, was your 1945 FW in the group of Sept. 19, 1945? Mine is in that group. I know there were some FW made between July of 1941 and Sept. 1945 that are not listed in the FW serial number listings. I'm thinking that the numbers were assigned to a certain model of machine but weren't all used for that model, and were used for others that they needed to make. Was her face plate originally black too? Mine isn't. Thank you for the info.

Janis, my machine was in the Sept. 19, 1945 allotment-serial # AG 528219. We didn't paint the faceplate, that is the original finish-sort of a gunmetal gray. The same color is on the presser foot lifter and the stitch regulator is all black with no outline paint. We didn't paint any of the original blackside components-just the body. It didn't come with any accessories, so I don't know if it had blackside feet with it. It's cool to find someone else with a "sister" machine.

Pat
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Pat, Your featherweight is just a little older than Ethel Jane. Her serial numbers are #AG 536064. There are 7845 between ours. Do you realize that there were only 20,000 made that year starting Sept 19, 1945, or at least that's what I found on line where found the serial numbers and the models of machines made. The Faceplate on mine is the silver one, but the presser foot lifter and the stitch regulator are like yours, all black. I have a black bobbin and a foot attachment and a few of the attachments are the black, or have some black on them. On my 1939 Featherweight, the face plate, presser foot lever, the area around the stitch regulator, and the rim of the hand wheel are all silver. I have gotten more of the attachments from a couple of other places that I have mixed in with those that came with my machines too. Did you get a case with her? I got one with mine. I bought her last Oct. from a member of the quilting board who had gotten her from an estate sale. So, I think that I'm the third owner of her. She is my favorite machine.

If you see any 'low shank' foot attachments, they will all fit with the featherweight machines, or at least all that I've found do. Some do have a little taller shank on them than others, but they all worked on my machine. I think that they weren't all standardized early on, as I got some attachments from a Singer 66 from the early 1930's that work with the featherwieghts too.
Janis
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM

I adore these machines They're reliable, easy to maintain, and have a high cuteness factor

Jae
Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 PM

Aren't they just a lot of fun sewing with??!!! I feel like a kid again when I sew with mine. They just make me smile!
Another note or two....Did you know that if you go on mysingerstory.com you can put in your name, the serial number of your Singer, and your e-mail address and they will send you a nice printable certificate that states that
'_______ owns a Singer serial number _______ that was made in ______year.
Also, if you want a wonderful rolling tote for your machine, they have great ones in the YARN department at Michaels that are just the right size for these wonderful little machines. There are quite a few zippered pockets in them too. Michaels accept Joann and Hancock coupons.

Last edited by Janis; 02-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 PM

I am doing the happy dance!! Just won a white 221K for $560.00AU here in Australia on eBay!! They are as scarce as hen's teeth down under! Hopefully it will arrive by the end of the week to join my 2 other black 221K's and 4 222K's. Also have a 15-90, 3 201K's, 2 99K's (1 is a hand crank). I just love using these old Singers, my electronic computerised machines don't get used much anymore!!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 AM

If you see any 'low shank' foot attachments, they will all fit with the featherweight machines, or at least all that I've found do. Some do have a little taller shank on them than others, but they all worked on my machine. I think that they weren't all standardized early on, as I got some attachments from a Singer 66 from the early 1930's that work with the featherwieghts too.
Janis[/QUOTE]

Janis, thanks for the information on your machine. I do have a case for my machine but it is in poor shape. The corners look as if they have been chewed off! At least it doesn't have a moldy smell, but is missing the tray that goes in the top. I do have attachments for my featherweight, just not the originals. I pick up old attachments whenever I find them, so was already prepared. I actually sewed on her yesterday and it was really fun!

Pat