Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Love to stitch on my featherweight!

The one I have is from an old friend of my grandmothers - it had been stored in her attic for years but it works just fine! Love the sound of a room full of them running when our featherweight group meets.

I take it when we camp as well as to classes. Attended a featherweight class last spring given by the "old sewing machine man" (theoldsewingmachineman.com/about.php#current2) It was GREAT!

Today discovered a Singer Featherweight 221 MINI Engraved extension table on ebay-- American made and free shipping. Looking forward to having mine!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by featherweightman View Post
All machines are not the same.The black ones have gears inside.the white ones ..have a belt.The black ones have lube tubes on the motors.some of the white ones do not.the foot control on the black ones un pluges .some do some do not on the white.Let me try to make it simple.The motor on the white one is a more powerful motor..04 vs.0.58.The first fix i would try is simple.It s called motor burn out.Some of these machines have been setting for 30 to 40 years.Un hook belt from machine and run motor for 5 to 10 min.at high speed.IT may smell or it may get hot but after a while you will here the pitch change.When it does you will see a big difference in the speed.Ihave worked on a lot of featherweights and it works most of the time good luck ,let me know if it works.
Thanks for the advice on this...I have two FWs that I have never even tried to sew on. Hoping for more time and enough courage to get them out and get to sewing on the same machine I learned to sew on! Will be checking back here!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

wooohooo! i just got a new 'baby' last week, a featherweight 221, from 1951.
i just adore her...
i had her in the house, unpackaged her and within minutes had her in bits, cleaned, de-fluffed and oiled!!
i call her 'kitty' as she 'purrrrs' when she sews!!!
just love her!!

i'm fairly 'over the moon' that i finally have a featherweight of my own!!!
Attached Thumbnails sdc12073.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM

I have 3 of them. 2 black and one beige. I am having trouble with one though. It won't sew. It goes but the needle keeps coming unthreaded and no stitches. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM

mmm, not sure, i found this site recently... is there anything here which may help you??
http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html
Originally Posted by mamajack3 View Post
I have 3 of them. 2 black and one beige. I am having trouble with one though. It won't sew. It goes but the needle keeps coming unthreaded and no stitches. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:18 PM

I have the greenish white one and never use it. Love my Viking to much I guess.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM

jacquie, welcome to the FW group!!! Your little machine should work well for you. She is a very pretty one, and her face plate is one that I haven't seen before. I like her name as they do purr when they sew. ENJOY!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chigger Holler Quilter View Post
Thanks for the advice on this...I have two FWs that I have never even tried to sew on. Hoping for more time and enough courage to get them out and get to sewing on the same machine I learned to sew on! Will be checking back here!
Glad to be helpful.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mamajack3 View Post
It could be the upper tension.It could be needle not being seated or your stitch reg in the neutral position. try these first if none work we will try plan B
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Here's my 1951 Centennial FW, "Violet"...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]315131[/ATTACH]

Came with case, 2 keys, 2 sets of attachments, manual, 2 tubes of lubricant, etc. What a sweet little machine! Only $275 and free shipping on eBay a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails 013.jpg