Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM

I have a 221,had it fix dh had the belt to tie,working again.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM

April 1930.com
featherweight 221.com
yahoo groups: featherweight
http://www.mckennalinn.com
these are just a few to get someone started..found them informative there are a ton more as piecemaker 1 said..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM

I'll bet that one day when you least expect it, you will find one for yourself!!

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy View Post
Oh, she is outstanding! I would love a beautiful featherweight but I think they must be like finding a needle in a haystack where I live. There are none in the classifieds, or Craiglist, and I'm not so good with ebay (I forget to check it). So, I guess I will just watch all of you and admire your beauties.! Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM

He's a real sweetheart!

Originally Posted by Para722 View Post
A gentleman in my sewing class just gave me one. How lucky am I? It came in a wooden carrying case that has to be opened with a special screwdriver. He said it was made in 1926 and last year he had it all cleaned and rewired. I was so touched that he wanted me to have it.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:34 PM

I just bought a fw the other day--here in Ft.Myers,Fl.It needs some cleaning up tho--gonna get to that with a little help from a friend!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM

I'd like to share what I learned about my White Featherweight today. They balk unless you are using the antique bobbins. I was sewing Hospice quilts at a guild workshop and my thread kept breaking. Like 15 times. Checked the needle, bobbin, how I had threaded it... could find nothing. As I was moaning and groaning and threatening to pitch it, one of my friends walked over and told me she had the same problem when she bought hers. After taking it in to the shop, TWICE, she began to realize, she never had trouble with it as long as she was using the antique bobbins with it. So, I dug down in my bag to find the tin I keep my FW bobbins and sure enough, I had a couple old ones. Wound one, put it in and the little things hummed all afternoon long after that. She was RIGHT!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 AM

All of my family is from Middletown, Oh. I was born in Dayton. My families last name is Wright and Jones. You have a beautiful machine and what a deal. Hope to talk at ya soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I forgot to ask - Does anyone know where I could get extra bobbins for my Mary? The poor thing only came with one. Thanks.
I carry all kinds of accessories and parts for featherweights on my website: www.thequiltgal.com.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingJaguar View Post
What qualifies a featherweight machine.?? Is it the year it was made or that extra lip on it?
Featherweight Sewing Machines:
The Sewhandy sewing machine was very similar to the later Singer 221 and was also light weight (13 pounds), but made by Standard Sewing Machine Company that sold out to Ossan Manufacturing Company. Next, starting in 1933, Singer came out with the 221 model with the Egyptian scroll on the face plate. Later models have the striated face plate. The white/green and the beige/tan models have a different type of face plate.

These Singer sewing machines that were made of aluminum so that they were light weight, portable, had a lockstitch with a reversible electric drive and weighs 11 pounds. They have a graduated stitch length indicator, a graduated thread tension device, a rotary hook and either gear or belt driven (221K7), have a hinged bed extension, a light and light shade on the front. The Machine base base is 10 7/64 inches long, 7 1/4 inches wide and come in black (from 1933 until late 1950s), white/green (Pale Turquoise official name) and beige/tan (models were in late 1950s and into 1960s). These are the models that most people mean when they say 'Featherweight' or 'Singer 221'.
The first picture is of a black model from 1948 and is the type of sewing machine that has the hinged bed extension and comes in a black vinyl coated wooden carrying case with feet and other accessories. There are two different type of vinyl coated carrying cases for the black models, two different carrying cases for the white/green and one carrying case for the beige/tan models. The next two pictures (tan first and then white).
There are a couple of other models that are more rare and more expensive (black crinkle war time model and the 222k Free arm with the removable bed extension).
Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   tan-sewing-machine.jpg   kgrhqyokj4e6dpkztupboveq8e3q60_3.jpg