Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Sewing Machine? >

Your Sewing Machine?

Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
I have two machines that I use - my mom's Singer 301A from the 50s and my Singer that my Mom and Dad gave me for graduating high school in 1969. I love them both. I have considered getting a new fancy one, but I haven't. I would rather spend the money for fabric!
Ditto, I have a 301a. At first the smirks start, then when they realize my straight stitches blows the doors off their fancy machines...I just grin. I'm quite proud of "Old Martha".
I do have a very nice Viking, but the 301 is awesome!
I am with you. When I decided to join the quilt guild I bought a new machine. Absolutely hated the thing. Picked up a 301a for $75, it goes to evey guild meeting and UFO day. While the others are fidgeting with their shiny new machines mine just purrs on with beautiful even straight stitches. The others have shiny new ones with a multitude of fancy stitches, but mine is a dull tan with one very dependable stitch and I would not trade for anything.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 AM

I went through a similar experience taking classes with my Kenmore sewing machine. Everyone had a Pfaff or Babylock or Bernina etc and there I was with my Kenmore-my only machine that I had bought when $ were really tight. Now don't get me wrong I would LOVE a computerized sewing embroidery machine one day but I have to tell you-my machine is an absolute workhorse-sews ANYTHING I throw at it. I even quilted a queen size quilt on it before I had a clue what I was doing. I have to admit I love my little Kenmore geared for quilting which cost me around $129 on sale.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 AM

Last year, I bought a Singer Stylist computerized machine. I thought it was time to upgrade. I took it to a FMQ class and had more trouble with the thing and got really frustrated, was working on another project and it was skipping stitches like crazy. So I pulled out the manual, did everything it said to do and it still skipped stitches, it didn't like the thread I was using, I was breaking needles, etc. Finally, I just pulled out my old trusty Kenmore because I just needed to sew and whattayaknow....she just sailed right on through and I was so excited. I just recently oiled it and cleaned it (under the throat plate and all) where I found what looked like felted material :lol: and she still works like a dream....I'll figure out what's up with my fancy Singer eventually, but in the meantime, my Kenmore does me just fine!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by blondeslave
I went through a similar experience taking classes with my Kenmore sewing machine. Everyone had a Pfaff or Babylock or Bernina etc and there I was with my Kenmore-my only machine that I had bought when $ were really tight. Now don't get me wrong I would LOVE a computerized sewing embroidery machine one day but I have to tell you-my machine is an absolute workhorse-sews ANYTHING I throw at it. I even quilted a queen size quilt on it before I had a clue what I was doing. I have to admit I love my little Kenmore geared for quilting which cost me around $129 on sale.

Me too!!! I pieced my avatar on it, I made several big quilts on it and all kinds of stuff....I love my Kenmore.... And mine was a gift...it didn't cost me anything!!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Banned

if your machine does the job then don't worry. I worry about students who come to class with machines that can't do the projects - like the Gems for a free motion class. Although I've done free motion on featherweights but projects were small. So find out what the project will be.
If the smaller macines make good stitches and even and consistent then that is all you need.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 AM

always "test drive"
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I have a featherweight and she is adorable with a great stitch, BUT, my dinky cheap Brother is my go-to machine. Never had a problem. It isn't fussy about thread. So enjoy your little Brother and the great quilts you can make on it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM

If anyone says any thing, tell them it is your carry around machine, you other one is at home. They dont need to know. LOL. lots of folks have a smaller, cheaper machine to carry around. DH uses a cheap Jenome, it sews great.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I was at a sewing class, and was suddenly aware that everyone had fancy expensive computerized sewing machines. I was unexpectedly very embarrassed of my ~$100 Brother machine that I had gotten at Walmart a few years ago. :oops: Which was odd - because I normally don't concern myself with "material things" - no pun intended!
My original machine was a Kenmore that I'd had for about 25yrs - and had fixed 4 times during the last 2 yrs. Finally I kicked it to the curb, and bought the Brother. It seems fine for my needs - basic stitches, but impossible to sew button holes with.
So hopefully I'll get over being prideful until my machine dies a slow and natural demise! In the meantime - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced product that they would recommend?

You should never feel embarrased about anything you have! I wouldn't dare take my so called good machines to a class. You define good machines as you see fit. We are all at different stages with our machines, sewing and quilting.

I would advise you just first decide what you can afford for a machine that would serve your pupose and then go from there. Then look at the capabilities of the machine...straight stitch, buttonholes, fancy stitches, embroidery etc., then you will be more able to determine which is best for you. What are you interested in for now and the future will be your best determining factor. If you think you would enjoy getting into more than basic sewing then look at ones with more features, if not then look at the ones that are tried and true for the features you desire. You just need to worry about what you need and what provides that need and NOT what others think about whatever machine you may have....
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I was at a sewing class, and was suddenly aware that everyone had fancy expensive computerized sewing machines. I was unexpectedly very embarrassed of my ~$100 Brother machine that I had gotten at Walmart a few years ago. :oops: Which was odd - because I normally don't concern myself with "material things" - no pun intended!
My original machine was a Kenmore that I'd had for about 25yrs - and had fixed 4 times during the last 2 yrs. Finally I kicked it to the curb, and bought the Brother. It seems fine for my needs - basic stitches, but impossible to sew button holes with.
So hopefully I'll get over being prideful until my machine dies a slow and natural demise! In the meantime - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced product that they would recommend?
I learned to quilt on the same machine, it suited my needs. A straight stitch is a straight stitch and that is all I needed at the time. A few years later I upgraded to a Kenmore Elite because I wanted to be able to add some fancy stitches to my quilting. I am very happy with it.