Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you have a sewing machine repair person? >

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

do you have a sewing machine repair person?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Yes, we do. My husabnd usually works on the machines but if he can't get it done there are two different shops he'll take the machine into.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Like the cobbler, the tinker, the butcher and baker, the sewing machine repair man is nearly as extinct as the watch maker!

Seriously folks, can you find a sewing machine repair man/person in your area..less than a 30 minute drive?

AND if you do find one, will they work on any and all machines?

NO, and NO in this area...

The only sewing machine repair person is the lady who owns the Bernina shop. She is "technically" only allowed to work on Bernina and Janome machines. However since she and her late husband have owned and worked in the sewing machine repair business for 50+ years she has loyal customers that she will not turn down. But she really does not know the singers and older off brands as well as she does, Pfaff, Bernina and Janome!

As with all of the DEALER shops, their repair staff is really only trained on that brand and most times the shop has a contract forbidding them from working on other machines.

Sew/vac shops are the best if you can find one...not anywhere around here that is for sure! Each machine manufacturer designs their machines so that to truly fix them you need to know their schematics and have their tools...Sears used to do this to their appliances!

There is a man 30 miles from here that will work on other brands, but now that he is contracted to a quilt shop that only sells Pfaff..good luck getting him to take on your machine!

My point is, when looking into buying a machine make sure you know where the repair man is....whether you are buying a brand new machine at a dealer or a nice vintage machine at a yard sale.

There was a question earlier about why people are buying up the older machines....my #1 reason is that they are easier to work on, and once they are working good...they really love to work...

If you have a newer fancy machine, it might not hurt to look into getting an older workhorse machine and learn how to maintain it so you always have a reliable back up.

It is almost like buying a car these days! No need to buy a volkswagon when the nearest repair man is 100 miles away!
I am lucky. There is a sewing machine repairman down the road from me. He works on all types of machines. I JUST LOVE HIM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 AM

I am lucky in that several of our dealers/quilting shops have very competent repairmen that seem to be more than happy to work on a variety of makes.

Given my recently acquired love for vintage machines, I am thinking that I should start learning how to take care of my own mechanical machines. I used to do the routine repairs on extremely expensive analytical equipment during my working days, so it shouldn't be any big deal.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 AM

No kidding about the 'workhorse' machine!... I did it to myself AGAIN! all three of my machines need to go to the shop, okay , it's not really about the money, it's about the time they'll be gone, AND I promised my self I wouldn't let this happen AGAIN. the repair shops are in three different areas of the Denver area, Neechi is 12 miles south. the Janome is 6 miles NW. and the Husky is 6 miles North. The good news is I'll have lunch at my favorite Middle Eastern place when I take them in. Looks like it's only handwork for me for the next month! I'm going to start a english paper pieced tumbling blocks.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM

I do have a repairman, the old fashion kind, who is going to repair my g-mother's old treadle machine. I still remember how she rocked back and forth using her feet to make it go. He's an older man and has all the old belts and parts to get it going again. Gonna leave it to my g-daughter with strict instructions to keep it in the family. :D
Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 AM

I have a sewing machine repair lady in town. I just took my machine to her. But this is the last time I use her. She is extremely rude. She yelled at me in the store and when I called her to check on the machine she yelled at me again. I finally had to tell her to knock it off. I didn't appreciate her attitude. She also is very picky about what machines she will work on. My sister tried to take her machine there and the lady told her that she thought her machince was a piece of junk and she wouldn't work on it. So I will be finding a new repair place. Hope you all have better luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Yes. I met him because he is the authorized repair person for the Bernina authorized dealers in my area. I was delighted to learn that he opened a shop in my tiny town about ten minutes away. I live in the country, so few things are that close!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 AM

I'm so lucky my sewing machine guy comes right to my house, he picks up my machine and brings them back. He worked on my Janome and found the problem with it, I thought I had a lemon because I had so much trouble with it. I was ready to throw it out the window. Now it works so good I love it, its never worked right, Steve was able to figure out what was wrong with it. He has been a sewing machine repair man for over 40 years. I'm so glad I found him.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM

....I'm lucky enough to live 15 plus miles away from a quilt store who has a repair drop off. Not bad for a tune up - and they've been great with my 30 yr old Singer.... I sure hope they never discontinue that service.
Boy - that's something to keep in mind when I finally get to purchase a mid/long arm (soon, I hope).
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Saw the question and it reminded me I needed to update everyone on my machine. I wrote a while back about my brand new Singer Quantum breaking needles, driving me crazy. The nearest authorized Singer repair shop is pretty far away. I finally took it to my local guy, who has kept my other machine cleaned and running for ages. He was an authorized Singer dealer and repair shop before they took away his franchise because he didn't sell enough machines. Anyway, I went to him, and he discovered the hook was not in the right spot, and adjusted it, runs beautifully now. It probably came from the company that way. Much more pleasant to sew and not cuss:) :)