any herb growers out there

Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I grow tons of herbs..not just to eat but for medicinal and PEST control!

I have tons of seed if anyone wants to trade some..will make a list!
They look wonderful.

We have a small herb garden next to the terrace and a huge barrel of mint on the terrace (since it seems to be such a bully in the garden--taking over every inch of space!).

Most of our herbs come back every year-- chives, oregano, sage, lavender, and thyme. I think I saved parsley and radish seeds, and maybe cilantro and sweet Annie too. If you'd like any of those, I would gladly trade for any basil tarragon or dill.
yes, mints will take over everything..especially those that grow from the root..like my spearmint..I had it out in the garden the first year..5 years later we still dig pieces of it out of the beds...and the yard..

I would LOVE some sweet Annie...I really love to use that in dried arrangements, sachets and soaps...what a smell!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
OK here it goes: showing my ignorance! I have grown potatoes (many years ago) in the ground and dug them up to harvest them. So what I don't understand is how to harvest them from containers. I read about planting in a trash bin and adding soil at intervals as the plants grow. Seems potatoes would form at the bottom first, so how and when does one harvest them? Sorry to be so dumb about this, but love new potatoes and want to try growing them again. I am no longer able to get down on my knees so container gardening will be my method in the future.
Thank you anyone and everyone for explaining this to me!
potatoes do better in containers, because to harvest all you have to do is dump the container over, pull out the taters, stand the container back up, put the dirt back in and start round two! your container does not have to be very big in diameter, but it does have to be tall! and you can find one to put on a stand or table instead of the ground!

potatoes do not grow from the roots...they actually grow from the stalk...that is why you plant them in shallow dirt and then HILL them up as they grow..
you will know they are done when the plant flowers and then the leaves turn yellow!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Jacquie

send me a pm with your address and I will send an elecampane baby to you when she starts growing again--we're a tad behind you in growing season, I'm in zone 5 and tend to be 5A in terms of where my property is and the sun during the day.

Laurie
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

The last two years I grew my potatoes in straw. No dirt at all, and the potatoes are So easy to harvest. As the palnts grow, you keep covering them up with more straw. As they grow, you can stick your hand in, grab some potatoes, and you dont kill the plant.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM

I use rosemary as small hedges. They smell sooo good.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM

I love herbs, they really are like weeds in that they don't all require a lot of attention. Before we moved I had herbs. in my yard. DH made two square plots for me. In one I tried to put herbs mentioned in the Bible and in the other I had mostly different varieties of thyme....I called it Thyme's Square.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 AM

I am an herbalist trying to help people balance out their health and think your garden is great.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

has anyone ever ordered plants online? I found this site and they have the most plants available..and good prices as well..

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...=6145043.19291
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nolee
I am an herbalist trying to help people balance out their health and think your garden is great.
yeah...I worked at studying herbology while in MI...so many herb farms up that way...you can't find anything beyond kitchen basics here in OK....
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM

Jacquie
I've ordered on-line and love Seeds of Change (NM) and Johnny's seeds (Maine). both emphasize a zero carbon footprint. Mostly, when I buy seedlings, I try to buy locally. I've started many of my herbs from seeds. I've also bought plugs from North Creek Nurseries in PA but shipping may well be prohibitive to OK.