Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Afghan women are coming to quilt! >

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Afghan women are coming to quilt!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 AM

Great work and let us know how it goes - having traveled a lot -i find sharing an interest brings people together - too bad not everyone works together like quilters do
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
I tried to get some treadle sewing machines when I first got here. They are very cheap and durable at about $15 a pop for the ones made in Pakistan and India. The problem is they could be rigged to do more than just sew. I'm sticking to hand needles for now.
I agree with all the others in that this is such a wonderful thing you are doing. I really hope it helps stifle those inaccurate pre-conceptions Afghan women may have of Americans. I wondered about treadles and thought it would be a great idea to try and get them. Never occurred to me they can be rigged to do other things, and I am thinking by the gyst of your message that the other things are not so peaceful and nice as sewing.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 AM

How Wonderful you are!!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 AM

The only thing I can think of is that they may use the metric system there. How about those of you in Europe, etc. who use metric -- do you use 1/4" seam allowances, or in MM?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM

What a wonderful happening! Wishing you great success!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I never thought about not depicting people and animals with fabric. Goodness! I am so glad I came here first before laying out my fabric. We are going to keep the "cuisine" simple. Our dining facility serve Afghans as well as coalition troops so we have kosher, vegeterian and porkless stuff to chose from. Another member, abconsultant gave me some good stuff too. I've been trying to do this for months so I am floating on cloud nine right now. I just want everything to turn out positive because the women here have so many preconceptions about american women and many are not so good. If course I will keep you all posted and I will post pictures if the women are open to it. You all rock!
I liked the idea of having a sample for them to see but would also have sample of the project in the various stages. That way after they finished a step, they could see if it looked like how you had yours. (right sewn together or not? Something upside down?, etc.) Encourages them that they passed that part of it and can continue on. If they did something wrong, it would be easier to correct it during a part phase than after it is all put together.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM

Please keep the suggestions coming! I did not think of the seam allowance. I will research this to make sure I'm using the right terminology when I talk about it. Good stuff!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM

I love what you are doing. I love to show people new techniques and help them make thing. Perhaps you could have a few designated translators, that may help w/the language. keep us posted and forward photos if you can.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Sounds like you're all good to go! I'll repeat what others have already said...this is a fabulous undertaking; I so wish I could be a helper in a mission like this.

Mind you, I just took my first quilt class the other day. The visuals of the completed task helped tremendously. The teacher was barking out: "now make three strips this size, then 3 that size, etc. and all of us just couldn't get it without looking at the finished strip. With your language differences, this will be a challenge.

My only extra 2 cents to add...put a bit of humor in and all should go well.
Congratulations and best wishes for a successful outcome!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I love what you are doing. I love to show people new techniques and help them make thing. Perhaps you could have a few designated translators, that may help w/the language. keep us posted and forward photos if you can.

There will be two translators there. One of the women helped a lot with getting this off the ground.