Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
SMART fortwo car...do you have one? >

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

SMART fortwo car...do you have one?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Know a lady that has one, was rear ended by a truck in a 45mph area and walked away from it. Design must be pretty safe for that to happen. Car was messed up, but repairable.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Have a friend that has one looks like a ladybug, and that is what she calls it. She drives it all over, and doesn't complain about the room in it. I had a 2 door chevette that people thought wouldn't be safe in an accident. I saw an accident with a Chevette and the old Pontiac station wagon. The Pontiac was okay, the Chevette wasn't going anywhere, the Pontiac driver ended up in ICU, and the Chevette driver walked awya without injuries. You never know .
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Amen to that, sewgull. I think they are the scariest invention ever. And I don't think they are that cute either.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM

I don't know much about them, but I do see them from time-to-time where I live in the Detroit area. I always get a chuckle out of them. I always think to myself that all they need to complete the look is a wind-up key on top!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Fusion and absolutely love it. One day last week when the wind was blowing pretty fierce, I could feel it against the side of my car. I was traveling on a road that has a 50 mph speed limit. On the northbound side of the road a SmartCar was about to go in the turn around lane. I wondered to myself, "Gee, if I can feel this wind against MY car, what must it feel like in a little thing like that??!!" :shock: With all the tornadoes and even the strong winds you could get blown all the way to OZ in one of those little guys!!! :shock: :shock:

Quite a few years ago there was a Yugo (remember those tin cans??!!) that was traveling across the Mackinac Bridge between Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas. It was blown completely off the bridge and into the lake, and, of course, killed the woman inside it!!! I can only imagine what it would be like to drive a SmartCar across that bridge in high winds!! YIKES!!! :roll:
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM

My husband has a Toyota Yaris that gets about the same gas milage I think but has more room to carry stuff. Like groceries. Think about things like that before you buy. The Yaris is cute. It has 3 glove compartments. The dash instruments are in the middle of the dash but you'd get use to that. I'd have one but I need my van for my wheel chair.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by greenini
Frankly, they look like a roller skate to me. I would be very reluctant to drive one in heavy traffic. I would look for a small economical regular car if it were me such as a Corrolla, a Kia or a Focus. Your timing is great as the April issue of Consumer Reports is all about cars and you ought to be able to get it at your library. I would look it up for you, but just realized we didn't get that issue, so must call them and get it sent out.
the Kia and the Focus both get poor MPG ratings...the Corrolla is out of my price range and hard to find in rural OK...we have about 30 Smarties here in town now...thinking I might end up with the Cobalt or Aveo...sigh...had my heart set on a red camaro..but alas...
We have a 2003 Kia van that still gets 25 mpg. We drive lots of miles and it has never let us down. I would try a smaller Kia in a quick minute, if I did not have to haul a huge dog.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Don't shoot me for saying this, but this thread is the most timely and useful to me of any thread ever on here! You answered so many of my questions...I am wanting a Smart Cabriolet (their convertible model) so badly, and just discovered the wraps on their site. How cool are they????
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM

I am sorry but we call that a mobile coffin. There have been two accidents that I know of where they people were killed one was a hit and then another hit from behind. Looked like an accordion in the pictures. I would no more drive in one than anything. The first one I saw was a head on with a pickup. People in both incidents in the Smart car died.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

You can buy a lot of gasoline with the price of any new vehicle.
Those tiny cars would not climb the steep hills in this part of Missouri and a lot of other parts in hilly country. May work out just fine in city driving. I would not drive a little bitty car if they gave me the car and gasoline.
I drive a silverado, 4wheel drive, off road. At least I sit higher than a lot of other vehicles.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM

I have often thought about this car. Most of my driving is in town however I do have occassion to do freeway driving and I would not want to drive a smart car on the freeway. I'm thinking more about a Prius.