Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine? >

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

How many of you learned to sew with a treadle machine?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:53 AM

I was given a treadle when I was 10 by an older woman when our house burned and I learned to sew on it. It is a 1904 Singer in a cabinet and I still have it. It sews beautifully.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 AM

I had no machine at all when my first two were three and four. My stepmother's aunt had been a seamstress all her life and she found a treadle for me and had my dad bring it over for me. I learned on that beautiful old treadle with the help of a neighbor who was an avid sewer for her two girls. I sewed all my children's clothes on that machine for about 10 yrs. I then got an electric one which was awful and my husband took the treadle and put a hand wheel on it and used it to make leather sheathes for the hunting knives he made. I now rue the day I ever let go of that wonderful Wheeler and Wilson #9. I had no idea what a treasure I had.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle and how I wish I still has it, but my Mom got rid of it in 1960 when a friend gave her an electric sewing machine. My son has the electric machine and it's in the original and beautiful cabinet.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Vat

On my grandmothers and now her machine is mine. Lucky me! !
Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 AM

My father sewed overalls and his big thick moving pads with our treadle machine. I have been on a quest to find out what happened to that machine and my mother, the non-sewer, does not remember.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 AM

I did learn to sew on a treadle. Remember how much fun it was. Took a little bit of time to get the timing right and not turn the wheel backwards instead of forward. Mom would cut her own patterns..not a skill I have. We embroidered doll clothes we made, by hand of course. My sister has Mom's machine and although she doesn't use it is not interested in giving it to me - that's life. I do have two treadles of my own, a singer and a Minnesota. Can't use them right now because of severe back problems. Maybe soon!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 AM

My first sewing machine was a treadle, it was given to me by someone who said she was too old to sew--and now I am older than she was, still sewing but with a much newer machine. I can still remember my mother's joy over the first electric machine she owned, many of her friends were using old machines which had been updated with small electric motors, but she had a Singer in a cabinet for her first electric machine. piecefully, the old one
Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Oh such good memories. I used my mom's and a neighbors treadle.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 AM

Me
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 AM

I learned how in Home Ec. on an electric. But I watched Granny sew on her Red Eye treadle. My sis has the machine now and treasures it greatly. I love to sew on the oldies.