Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes >

someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes

someone asked me to make a "throw"out of old clothes

Old 06-04-2011, 08:01 AM

I think it would turn out great.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 AM

a few of the crazy quilt block patterns are good..
http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/Qu...ltPatterns.htm
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Right now I have two large bags of women's clothing. Her husband asked if I could make a quilt from these. I have made several of these and they turn out wonderful and are so comforting to those left behind.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by trolleystation
Right now I have two large bags of women's clothing. Her husband asked if I could make a quilt from these. I have made several of these and they turn out wonderful and are so comforting to those left behind.
I think that is the key to this whole issue.....Think of the comfort you will be giving to the person left behind....

:thumbup:
Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM

I made "bereavement quilts (throw size) for a family out of their dads shirts. They weren't tshirts, cotton ones. I foundation pieced, or used a fusible lightweight interfacing to make sure all weight was the same. On one, I used pieces of the shirts in a border and on one the binding. See if these photos help your imagination!
Originally Posted by Sandygirl
An acquaintance recently lost her "life partner" (I did not know her partner) and when she found out that I was a quilter, she asked if I would make a throw out of the old clothes. Besides time being a concern on my part...and yes I would charge for all materials to do this..(and charge for the long arm services)...what guidelines would you present to the customer??

I am brainstorming here:

Woven Shirts only. (I don't want to mix weights nor do I want to get into pants/jeans, knits)

Clothes must be clean/ washed!!

Clothes must in good condition. (I can fussy-cut around stains)

Do you suggest using a stabilizing product? (not even sure I want to put a lot of effort in this to be honest.)

I just want to make sure that I am on the right track should I decide to do this project.

What else am I missing here??? I want this to be fairly quick and effortless. Not even sure I like the idea of "clothes" for quilts but that is a personal bias.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206547.jpe   attachment-206548.jpe   attachment-206549.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm in the process of doing a memory quilt for a lady at our church. I asked her if I could do it, as she was very close too her mom and having a difficult time with her death. I thought if I could take the clothes her mom wore and make her a quilt, that it might help her to feel love and support from friends, as well as validate her grief. I gave no guidelines and that was the only thing I regretted. She gave me silky gowns and robes, knit shirts, and some cotton house dresses. I have finished piecing the quilt and will start quilting soon. It gave me joy to think about the smile on this woman's face (and the tears in her eyes) when I'm finished, and able to give it to her. It has been a labor of love, and I think that's what will make it so special. Saying that, I think you should recommend another quilter who would quilt it with joy, rather than try doing it yourself. It took alot of time, and if I hadn't done it in love, I would have never finished it.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
Please don't do this quilt as you did not give the impression that it is something you really want to do. If you feel you are forced to do something, you will not do your best work. This would not be fair to you or the person you would be working for. Just my opinion.
I tend to agree with BETTY62. Perhaps you could recommend someone that has the desire and time to do this. I am sure yu will make the right decision :?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
You asked what were you missing ??? It's so strange but this wk I cut a cotton shirt that belonged to my husband who is still living,,,,and though how I will save all of his cotton shirts as he "rips or ruins them,,,so that I can make a quilt from them after he is no longer with me,,,it gave me such a warm feeling to think that I could do that and have him wrapped around me for comfort...I think what is missing is "your desire" to do this....think of the love and joy you would be giving her.....we have been married 51 yrs...
There are some ideas on this thread that could mix pieces from both men's and women's clothes. Maybe you should make something now using both sets of memories together and you can both enjoy it.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:59 AM

I love doing these types of quilts. I made one for my Sis & her two daughters out of her DH clothing when he passed. She takes it everywhere with her. I also made one for a lady in Brooklyn NY that lost her DH in the twin towers. She sent me all of his clothing & I put a piece of everything in this quilt. Even the ties. It turned out wonderful & she cried up a storm when she got it back. She also sent a few pictures she wanted on it. The photo fabric costs around $8.00 for three sheets at JoAnns.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 AM

I also agree, if I was this woman I would hate to have the quilt made by someone who wasn't sure she wanted to do it/put effort in. Maybe someone on this board can offer? Or refer her to another quilter you know?