Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding, binding,binding >

binding, binding,binding

binding, binding,binding

Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 AM

The thing I hate about binding is mitering the corners. If it wasn't for that everything would be ok. I like the hand stitching part. Embroidery is one of my favorite things - started in vacation bible school waaaaaay back when I was in elementary school. I've watch all the videos, etc. on mitering but somehow my corners never look really good.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/MissouriQuiltCo#p/a
Jenny from Missouri Quilt Co.-great tutorial-
Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM

I did my first acceptable mitered corner just 2 weeks ago, and learned by watching youtube videos over and over, step by step, you will get it too, one step at a time! I was so proud and no one noticed but me!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Originally Posted by sandpat
Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I have nothing to offer in terms of the binding (I actually like that part), but I want to tell you that the pony in your avatar is stunning. I lean in close to my monitor for a better look every time I see one of your posts! :)
Thank you so much, i used to raise train and show Welsh ponies and show in pleasure driving and Combined driving events. (still dabble as its in my blood, and people wont let me totally retire) I have sold out due to age and economy and Champ is my last pony. he is 1/2 Welsh Cob and 1/2 arab. 14.2 hands and a lovely disposition. The pic was taken at his first outing at a fun competition with our driving club. Glad you enjoy his pic. JoAnn
Sorry to get your binding thread off topic, but wanted to tell you that Champ is one well built, beautiful boy! He just looks like he would be a pleasure to work with. So, how did he do in the competition?
He is a really nice pony to work with. He won the pony division. the following week I took him to a Horse driving trial. which includes driven dressage, cones, marathon. he won the championship in the training pony division. Here is a pic from that competiton. I guess we could take this private as not to bore others that are expecting binding topics. the last pic is during the marathon phase of the competition. enjoy
He could not be any more perfect. Even his blaze looks like it was painted on, it's so even! It's too bad you got out of breeding, because it looks like you really know what you're doing.

To keep it on-topic with binding, I always machine-stitch it to the front, just going slow to keep things lined up, no pinning, and hand-stitch it to the back using a blind stitch. My trick is that I do not press the fold into the binding at any point. I read somewhere that it is much easier to turn it to the back if it's not pressed, and it's true. Sometime I need to post a tutorial on how I connect the two raw ends of the binding. It's much simpler than the "correct" methods I've seen, and I think it looks just as good.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet
The big problem that I have had with binding is sewing the two ends together. I found this tip that really simplified it for me:
http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/.../binding-tips/
That's the one I use, too. Makes it so easy and works every time. In fact, I printed it out, pictures and all so it's always close at hand.

Also, I do not iron the binding strips in half to make a crease. I read somewhere that when you fold the binding to the back, the batting will take up a fraction of an inch so that the fold will never be exactly in the center of the binding strip. I find that very true. Without pressing in the crease, it always comes out nice and straight and you can always press the edge to get that crease, if you want. I don't bother.

Anyway, I love doing the binding 'cause I love handwork, including hand-quilting and hand-applique, all my favorites!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM

I wished I lived closer so I could help you!!! :-)
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM

i learned how to do my binding by watching you tube videos...i always go back to it because i forget steps as a new quilter...try this link to binding with marci baker...it's awesome..www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM

I looked at a lot of tutorial's until I found one that could understand and follow without any problem. I also learned how to make my own and now I look forward to the binding process. Still not perfect but each time I do one the end result is better than the last one. 8-)
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

I like doing the binding, but it took awhile to learn. I like your pics of the pony. It looks like a lot of fun.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM

This all started with a peach colored quilt, with no peach colored ready made binding to be found...here's my story:

Two years ago Santa (lol!!) got me a Simplicity Bias tape maker.
I had hear both positive and negative remarks about it. But, I'll tell you!!!! I LOVE it!!! This morning, I made over 400 inches of binding for a king size quilt in less than 30 mins. From start (cutting strips) to winding the finished product onto a spool for storage until I have time to stitch it on the quilt. Plus, your binding always matches your quilt!!! No more binding woes for me. I use a decorative stitch to attach it, makes it look nicer,,,don't have to worry about sewing a straight line..