Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding, binding,binding >

binding, binding,binding

binding, binding,binding

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM

I love doing bindings! It's actually my favorite part of quilting.

The links to You Tube are great. I know there are a ton of blogs out there that have tutorials too.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 AM

I love binding because it tells me I am almost finished! And...I love the handwork. I keep 'to be bound' quilts near the TV. If I'm watching TV, I'm binding. :)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM

I love to do binding, especially since I started using the glue method.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 AM

You could also use the 1/4" Steam-a-Seam Fusible Tape under the binding on the back side of the quilt and then stitch in the ditch on the front side. I use this sometimes to speed up the binding and no hand work.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
You could also use the 1/4" Steam-a-Seam Fusible Tape under the binding on the back side of the quilt and then stitch in the ditch on the front side. I use this sometimes to speed up the binding and no hand work.
OK that sounds like my kind of binding! I will definately look into that. Have Dr.s appt this morning and its near JoAnns Fabric. hmm have to make a side trip, cant be helped. LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 AM

I actually like bindings. One thing I do is always use my walking foot when placing binding. Second, I use clips instead of pins to keep it in place. Normally, I machine stitch the binding to the back and pull it up front and top stitch it with machine there, unless it is for someone else or for a heirloom quilt and then I hand stitch it to the back.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
oh how I hate doing binding. I think its just because I really dont know how to do it and I dont like doing things that are alien to me that could ruin my project.
Is it just something I need to keep practicing till Im comfortable with it? I did do a binding on a wall quilt and a twin bed quilt. It was hell. LOL
it has been a long time since Ive finished a project to have to do it again and I feel like Ive never done one. I wanted to turn some blocks that I mistakenly cut off my 1/4" seam allowance into mug rugs. figured I would put a nice binding on it. sigh. Is there any hope for me? I wish there was someone local that could help me and give me lessons. just venting. JoAnn
Try this link. She has some pretty interesting topics!
http://sunshowerquilts.blogspot.com/...h-binding.html
Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 AM

I hate doing binding. This is the technique I use, bringing the back fabric to the front to form the binding, then using a decorative stitch to sew it down. Perfect every time.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM

I don't mind doing the bindings at all, in fact I find I actually enjoy it. However, I dislike doing machine quilting. I've even been thinking of trying hand quilting since I know I like to finish bindings by hand. Back in the 1970s I did quite a lot of hand embroidery (both regular and crewel) so I know I enjoy doing handwork.... Still it's been almost 30 years since I put that stuff away.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I have nothing to offer in terms of the binding (I actually like that part), but I want to tell you that the pony in your avatar is stunning. I lean in close to my monitor for a better look every time I see one of your posts! :)
Thank you so much, i used to raise train and show Welsh ponies and show in pleasure driving and Combined driving events. (still dabble as its in my blood, and people wont let me totally retire) I have sold out due to age and economy and Champ is my last pony. he is 1/2 Welsh Cob and 1/2 arab. 14.2 hands and a lovely disposition. The pic was taken at his first outing at a fun competition with our driving club. Glad you enjoy his pic. JoAnn
Sorry to get your binding thread off topic, but wanted to tell you that Champ is one well built, beautiful boy! He just looks like he would be a pleasure to work with. So, how did he do in the competition?