Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding, binding,binding >

binding, binding,binding

binding, binding,binding

Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 AM

I can't wait to do the binding because it means I am almost done! I can then start on something else!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 AM

I always hated bindings too until I learned to do it. Took some patience, and lots of practice on scraps of fabric I made into mini quilts, potholders, and placemats just to learn the binding. I did go to Missouri Quilt Co and Sharon Schamber's You-torials and learned how to do the binding. If you learn the basic techniques, it will come easier every time. I also use the 'binding buddy' tool as putting the beginning and ending seams together was my worst nightmare. I just could not understand the how-to's of it and realized I was over-thinking it every time. The tool makes putting those seams together perfect every time. Before folding over the back of the binding, I always step away from the sewing machine, find a very relaxing chair or nice long ride in the car when finishing the binding by hand-sewing. I look forward to this every time as it takes me out of the sewing area and relaxes me enough to get the rest of it done. I don't fret over it being perfect every time. Doesn't have to be unless you are showing the quilt. Giving it as a gift? Usually we give the gift to those that can't/don't sew and never know that it isn't perfect anyway. There may come a time when you look at your work and tell yourself that there is nothing you can do to make it any more perfect. But that is waaaay after your realize you really do love and are proud of the work you do.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

Go to www.quilterstv.com and click under Quilters Cafe and see if my video on bindings is showing. Easy technique.
Uses no tools or gadgets to get good bindings.
My advice is if you are having problems then rip out and look for the problem so yu can fix it.
Good bindings are:
1. Seams consistent and even
2. Binding full
3. Good mitred corners
4. If using patterned fabric then fussy cut to take advantage of the the pattern in the fabric
5 If binding curves then cut binding on the bias
Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
oh how I hate doing binding. I think its just because I really dont know how to do it and I dont like doing things that are alien to me that could ruin my project.
Is it just something I need to keep practicing till Im comfortable with it? I did do a binding on a wall quilt and a twin bed quilt. It was hell. LOL
it has been a long time since Ive finished a project to have to do it again and I feel like Ive never done one. I wanted to turn some blocks that I mistakenly cut off my 1/4" seam allowance into mug rugs. figured I would put a nice binding on it. sigh. Is there any hope for me? I wish there was someone local that could help me and give me lessons. just venting. JoAnn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Your not alone. I hate doing the binding too. I'm not a hand sewer and doing the hand sewing on it takes me forever.
That is the only hand sewing I do. I've learned how to do bindings other ways on table runners and wallhangers but I do the hand sewing method on quilts. Others posted some really good sites for you though. I'm going to go them too. Thanks everyone for all the tutes posted. :thumbup:
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

you can always do non-mitered binding
http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...ltingfive.html
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM

I like doing binding but I will check out those tuts for pointers. Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Here are Sharon Schamber's videos on doing binding.
Check out how a master quilter does it.
You don't have to incorporate every step she does, but at least it will give you some ideas.
I will say that my binding, which I thought was pretty good, improved tremendously once I started incorporating some of her methods.
Good luck.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8
MTS: Thanks for the links!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I have nothing to offer in terms of the binding (I actually like that part), but I want to tell you that the pony in your avatar is stunning. I lean in close to my monitor for a better look every time I see one of your posts! :)
Thank you so much, i used to raise train and show Welsh ponies and show in pleasure driving and Combined driving events. (still dabble as its in my blood, and people wont let me totally retire) I have sold out due to age and economy and Champ is my last pony. he is 1/2 Welsh Cob and 1/2 arab. 14.2 hands and a lovely disposition. The pic was taken at his first outing at a fun competition with our driving club. Glad you enjoy his pic. JoAnn
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM

When I started quilting (last year). My first, quilt the binding scared me. I read and watched everything that has been mentioned here. I made me a large sandwich and put a binding on it. Then I cut it off and put another binding on it and cut it again. By the time i got down to a mug rug size sandwich I felt good enough to bind my first queen size quilt. I machine sewed it on the front and hand sewed on the back. A few quilts later and about fifty pot holders I like binding. It means you have another project complete. If I can do it anyone can.