i am mad!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I agree you can just replace that one piece. We have those types of windows and when I husband hit it with the ladder we had it replaced and I think they charged us 75.00. Call around to the glass companies or check with your local hardware store.
Absolutely! Just replace the pane..it will not be that expensive. Do you know a handyman?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM

If you can get to the outside, take a putty knife and take the old putty out. You will see the glazer points. Measure carefully, go to an ACE hardware store and get a good grade of glass. They have all kinds. They will cut it for you, maybe $15 or so, and you can put it in. It is easy. Buy the glazer points and the window putty there too. You could take a piece of the glass along to the store so they can match the thickness. You will have to pull the glazer points out to remove all the glass. With the putty, get a piece about the size of a small meatball, massage it until it gets soft, then roll it out in your hand to make a snake out of it. Then lay it over the glazer points and it will stick to the window. Use the putty knife on a slant and smooth it out. Put spit on your finger and smooth is further. Yes, spit. Learned it from from my brother the builder. After you have all 4 sides done, let it dry a few days and then you can paint over it. You can put the blue painters tape on the window so you don't have to clean the paint off. Maybe the whole window can be painted outside anyway. Good job for that handyman that just broke the light bulb. Any questions, please PM me.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
And its my own fault. This morning I broke a window while moving a chair. Now while all of you are smirking or laughing, I have to tell you that I bearly touched the window with the chair and you should see the abuse it has taken from my kids banging toys and sippies on it. And it isn't just any normal window it is a floor to ceiling window that is going to have to be compleTly replaced. At around $500. Now we don't have the money to replace it really. So trying to find the money I though why not sell a couple of quilts that I have just finished that don't have a home yet. Well my question to you guys is where is the best place to sell them and how do you price them? And I need to get the most I can out of them to pay for this bloody window that I broke. I looked on ebay and they are going for 5- 130 starting bids. And they are all baby size of around 40ish". Which is about the size of all three baby quilts.
If it is colored, or clear, consider replacing it with plexiglass so it is "kid safe" for the sippy cup owners? Might be less expensive too.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM

I am not sure if this would apply, but, some of the double pane window manufacturers offer break replacement warranties when you purchase their windows, if you have double panes you might want to check with the manufacturer, if not, I am sorry this happened.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Before you do anything at all, get some 2 inch, clear tape and measure pieces of it almost the exact same length. Cut the tape and start layering pieces of it to catch all the broken parts. Then go outdoors and do the same if you can reach it. Now your kids won't be hurt by flying glass or anyone with falling shreds of razor sharp glass.

Then you can decide if it's the whole window or just a pane in it.

Hold off on contacting the insurance company, that should not be a first response except in extremely expensive accidents.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Looks to me like it is just one pane to replace, and not the rest of the windo, unless it is broken somewhere else that doesn't show in the photo. That should not be too hard to do or too expensive either.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

If you can make a quilt, you can fix that window pane. Take your measurements and go to a hardwared store. They will instruct you how to do it!
Then you don't have to sell your quilts!
Oh, happy day!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 AM

You go girl we are all waiting to see your great window handiwork!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32 AM

For that one window pane you take the measurements and go to Home depot and they'll cut you a piece of glass; should be under $5. You'll need to get some window putty; asked the HD guy and he'll help you with what you need. You scrape the old putty off and make sure the surface is clean; put the new pane in and putty it; you are good to go. Sometimes there are little pins that help hold it in so if you see those you may have to get new ones if you can't use the old ones. Save your quilts.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 AM

For that one window pane you take the measurements and go to Home depot and they'll cut you a piece of glass; should be under $5. You'll need to get some window putty; asked the HD guy and he'll help you with what you need. You scrape the old putty off and make sure the surface is clean; put the new pane in and putty it; you are good to go. Sometimes there are little pins that help hold it in so if you see those you may have to get new ones if you can't use the old ones. Save your quilts.