Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrinkles in Fabric >

Wrinkles in Fabric

Wrinkles in Fabric

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Did you look on the bolt to see if you are to use cool, cold, warm or what to wash It? some of the muslins today are stating cold water, delicate cycle, low heat for drying. I always use at least a half cup of white vinegar put in the softener dispenser and let it go. Some of the inexpensive muslins come out quite nicely. Muslin in general is not what it used to be, just like some of the fabrics today. Then I starch it and it is ready to use.

Good Luck
Suzy
Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 AM

Those wrinkles in the fabric probably came from the dryer being too hot and got "set". Sometimes I have had to wash something again, (just run through rinse cycle)then set for perma press on dryer or take it out before totally dry, and shake it out to finish. Most of the time this will work if moisture or spray starch don't. Wrinkle release is good but I dont think it works too well on set in wrinkles.:)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM

My Mangle is made in Germany by Miele. I love it because it irons my fabric so quickly after I have washed. It comes out just right for cutting - I know it is old fashioned, but it sure does the trick for fabric. I don't iron sheets and other things, but I could if I wanted and it goes very fast. My husband saw me ironing by the hour on my fabric to get it ready to cut and he wanted me to eliminate the work of standing all that time. He got me this mangle so I can sit and iron in minutes. It is Wonderful and so is he.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by quilter68
A mangle irons large material like sheets and bedding. Who does that anymore?
I do
My mother used to have one when I was growing up but have not seen one in years and years and years..... :lol: might be telling my age now.

Where can you purchase one now? Never thought about using one for quilting fabrics.
Have always wanted one, sigh, these days with the high thread count sheets that look like KAKA when they come out of the dryer it would be wonderful!:)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 AM

I iron my pillowcases and sheets :oops: :oops: I just love the smell of them. Is that a bad thing? HA HA
Old 07-31-2011, 11:28 AM

The Dollar Stores have something called Wrinkle Release that seems to work for most of my fabric wrinkles. Now if they'd just make some thing like that for my face/body! :)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM

LOL. Here's a remedy for you.

I don't know WHY I didn't figure this out sooner!!!!
...It's the shampoo I use in the shower!
When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole body, and (duh!) printed very clearly on the shampoo label is this warning,
"FOR EXTRA VOLUME AND BODY." ..NO wonder I have been gaining weight!!!

Well! I have gotten rid of that shampoo and I am going to start using Dawn dish soapinstead.
Its label reads, "DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE." Problem solved!

If I don't answer the phone...I'll be in the shower!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by oldcottontop
Originally Posted by JulieR
Originally Posted by quilter68
A mangle irons large material like sheets and bedding. Who does that anymore?
I do
My mother used to have one when I was growing up but have not seen one in years and years and years..... :lol: might be telling my age now.

Where can you purchase one now? Never thought about using one for quilting fabrics.
Have always wanted one, sigh, these days with the high thread count sheets that look like KAKA when they come out of the dryer it would be wonderful!:)
I always wanted one, too, for both my king-sized sheets and for quilt fabric. A friend of mine was posting links on Facebook for her five sisters about what a mangle was because there was one in their father's basement that had belonged to their mother. I told her I was jealous, of course, and she said to come pry it out of the house because they were only going to send it to goodwill or let the trash truck take it -- if they could get it up the stairs.

So now it lives in my sewing room, which is next door to the laundry room, and we are all very happy. :)

You can purchase new ones (Miele makes one, I believe) in the $2k range, and sometimes you can find old ones like mine on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars. Yes, I told my friend what it was worth, but she thought it was more trouble than that. LOL
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM

I use Best Press By Mary Ellen"s works great takes all my fold lines and wrinkles out.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM

"Back in the old days" all the cotton was llike that. We ussed to dampen it and put it into the refrigerator until it was ironing time. Sometimeswe used the starch.