Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders >

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Reading is a good option - how about doing a class where you can 'tell'them what to do. Just an idea....Good luck and be patient. Listen to the dr. I say NO CHEATING!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Hmmmmm, I think I would change Doctor's. LOL. I wouldn't give up my Doctor for the world, but I do feel your pain.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM

This is the time just to relax and enjoy the world around you.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM

That is tough, but you MUST obey the doctor! Get organized for your next projects. Make sure you have the patterns and fabric and other supplies ready. Go fabric shopping for future projects or for fabric you like to have on hand when needed. Get a coolor on wheels with a handle to put all your new toys in and then devise a way to push or pull it with your hands not using your thumb. It can be done. You could probably do some simple pieceing that does not require holding it together with your thumbs. Use tab instead of having to push pens through the fabric. Since your thumbs are in a brace that does not allow movement use the brace or cast as a pusher. You will find a way to obey the doctor and still enjoy your hobby. Good luck and I hope you heal quickly.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Hope the six weeks goes fast. I was feeling bad for myself because I needed to take my sewing machine in to be worked on and it will be gone a week. I already miss my quilting. Just went out and bought fabric for two more projects. May be you can organize something or look at patterns to figure out what your next projects will be. Time will fly>
Old 08-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear about that. Hope the six weeks goes fast. I was feeling bad for myself because I needed to take my sewing machine in to be worked on and it will be gone a week. I already miss my quilting. Just went out and bought fabric for two more projects. May be you can organize something or look at patterns to figure out what your next projects will be. Time will fly>
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Hang in there.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Oh! :? That is too bad! I received the same orders when the doctor told me I had carpel tunnel...I lasted a week before resuming but I've never been one for obeying the doctor's. I don't know much about the inflamed tendons, though. Perhaps reading up on new quilting techniques? Three years ago I had two back-to-back surgeries, resulting in 12 weeks of bed rest so I picked up Quilting books and taught myself to quilt. I didn't know how to quilt before that point but those 12 weeks gave me plenty of time to read all the beginner's books I could find.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Crap, yesterday I found out why my wrists are hurting. I have De Quervain's Tenosynovitis or inflammation of the 2 tendons that operate your thumb. I currently have a hard plastic splint on my right thumb/wrist and half way up my arm. I'm to not use my thumb for anything or pick up anything heavy - even my purse! Tomorrow, I see if I get one on the other hand. No sewing for 6 weeks! What will I do?
You can't cheat it, either. I spent a summer splinted up and couldn't work in my rose garden. I tried to sneak it a bit of pruning, but the doctor could tell I'd been doing something and got after me for not letting them get their proper rest!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM

crap! i'd be trying to figure out how to use my feet!