Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about trimming before adding binding >

Question about trimming before adding binding

Question about trimming before adding binding

Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
You should leave at least a 1/4" of the batting sticking out from the top. This will help "stuff" the binding and make it firmer. Judges at quilt shows will look for a nice stuffed binding. Plus, if you don't have have your binding stuffed, it will fold in half and then it will start to wear along the edge and split, especially if it is washed a lot. Many antique quilts have split bindings just because they didn't fill the binding enough and they were used and washed a lot.
This was very helpful. I will try it on my next one. Thanks so much!
Yeah, but then your binding has to be at least 1/2" wide (showing). That's not a look I want most of the time.

I always trim the top/batting/backing even and then attach the binding.

Here are Sharon Schambers video on binding (there are 3 parts):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8

Makes GORGEOUS, stuffed, firm bindings.
:D Thank you so much for posting these links. What a great way to do bindings! You posted these just in time - I have a king size quilt that is waiting to have the binding sewn on! :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM

I watched the SS video and it was very informative, I find I was doing the binding the same way she does, but I don't use starch or GLUE....just pin or clamp as I go. My question about the glue is this: one would have to wash the quilted item after binding to remove the glue? I don't wash anything I finish........until it gets dirty after using it.....
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Banned

I trim the edges to the size of the top. I also serge around the outside edge. Not to trim anything off, but to make a tighter edge. For me, it makes the dreaded binding easier to stitch on.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by YukonViv
I trim my quilt (front, batting and backing) so I have a nice clean edge to work with. I use the french fold technique for binding. I use a 2 1/4 inch binding, fold in half and then sew my binding to the front of my quilt at 1/4 inch...so that the rough edges of the binding is along the edge of the quilt. Then I fold the my binding towards the back and blindstitch it in place by hand. With this method there is no loose areas in the binding as it's wrapped around the full edge of the quilt.
This is the way I have always done it also. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Homespun
I seem to be the lone wolf here. I sew my binding down to the front side of the quilt; then trim and turn over and hand sew binding to the back. My binding is always stuffed.
Lone wolf, you have a partner!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I always trimmed the edges first and then read that you get a better result if you attach binding first. So, I tried it on my last quilt. If you have a thin batt, it makes no different, but if you have a thicker batt, your binding is FAR more evenly attached because you aren't struggling with an 'edge' and poofiness. So, my recommendation is if you only use thin batts, continue to trim. If using thicker, then sew binding first, trim, then attach to other side.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 AM

I trim and then lay it out and see if it's relatively square. If necessary, I will trip the top to make the quilt square, but I don't go over-board.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I always trimmed the edges first and then read that you get a better result if you attach binding first. So, I tried it on my last quilt. If you have a thin batt, it makes no different, but if you have a thicker batt, your binding is FAR more evenly attached because you aren't struggling with an 'edge' and poofiness. So, my recommendation is if you only use thin batts, continue to trim. If using thicker, then sew binding first, trim, then attach to other side.
I like this tip!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 AM

The outside edge of my finished pieced top is usually straight, so I NEVER trim until I have my binding sewn on as I want to be sure it is "stuffed". I use a binding only 2 1/4" that is folded in half...not a lot of margin to work with.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

I hand trim as I sew the binding to the back so the batting is a little longer than the front and back fabrics. It does fill the binding better since I started doing it this way!!
Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I trim the edges too.
Me too!
:thumbup: