Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I'm such an idiot! >

I can't believe I'm such an idiot!

I can't believe I'm such an idiot!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 AM

It took me forever to find it and I never would have had you not challenged me to do so. It is so beautiful and I don't think anyone will ever notice it if you don't blatantly point it out. I know that is hard to do but just don't worry about it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Rosie
when women purposefully set a block in wrong so their quilt would not be perfect. It was called a "humility" block or square. Done because only God was perfect. I don't have to do anything on purpose; I always have a humility something in my quilts. Just ask people admiring your quilt to see if they can fnd your humility block. You're keeping up a fine quilting tradition!
Thanks for the explanation Grandma Rosie. I never heard Grandma say where the tradition came from. Just shows I never get too old to learn. I will pass this down to my two quilting G'Daughters.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:33 AM

My LQS has that very thing for for quilters. I haven't tried it but I'm told it works great. I'm such a gadget person that one day I will have to have one.
Originally Posted by ogama
i was told that the easy way to pick out the stitches is to get a mustache trimmer under 20 at walmart and then use that as it will seperate and only cut the threads. i have not tryed this as of yet but am getting one. and giving one for my kid for christams. lol. happy picking. ogama
i picked out a queen size and it took me 16 hours i know what you mean.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Remember never downgrade yourself because they are people out there doing it for you. I call it instant it was that instant that your mind was made up to keep it. lol
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 AM

You are being too hard on yourself. If you belonged to my group you would have to deposit a quarter in "the jar" because we are not allowed to put ourselves down. We all make mistakes and if it is not severe enough to threaten one's life, it's really not so bad! Have a good day.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Glad you checked it again and didn't have to rip it out. :-)
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by catsnchina
Here's a quote I heard in a quilting class last week (it cracks me up, but is useful).

"If I can't see my mistake from the back of a galloping horse, I probably don't need to fix it!"
Ohhh I really like this one: OH Yeah:!!!! My eyesight is not what it used to be either: LOL
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

You are not an idiot! You have just created an unique block. I do things like that all the time and shake my head, roll my eyes and then either live with it or take it apart and try again. You are being way too hard on yourself.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Love it.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Years ago a Native American girl worked for me. She gave me a beautiful beaded coin purse one year for Christmas. She pointed out a bead that was noticeably out of place (in the colors). She told me she wanted me to see that. Her grandmother had taught her how to bead as a little girl and she taught her to ALWAYS put a stray/rogue bead into her project as that was significant of how life really is. Life is never perfect, and the intentional *flaw* she put into each beautiful thing she beaded was a STATEMENT about life.

I have never forgotten that. I say leave the block upside down.. but keep the quilt to remind you that no matter HOW HARD we may strive for perfection there is always an unexpected flaw in our plans. The quilt is still beautiful, and it depends on HOW you are viewing the quilt as to WHICH blocks are really going the wrong way.

: )