Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Feel sooo bad... >

I Feel sooo bad...

I Feel sooo bad...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Nice story, so easy to identify and something to learn. Seems to me that seeing yourself clearly and learning is a reason to rejoice, not feel bad.

I have a similar situation except my "other grandma" is an expert seamstress. She is Mexican and years ago found herself with two tiny children and no husband. She aquired a treadle sewing machine and taught herself to sew, then worked in a suit factory and doing private commissions. Now, she only needs to see a picture in a magazine and she can reproduce it - custom made for a client. Needless to say, she sews wonderful things for the grandchildren. I once said to my daughter-in-law " I can't compete with her" (yes a little green monster was whispering in my ear). My daughter-in-law said "this is not a competition, they love both of you", which is absolutely true.
And I have been able to see how much she enhances their lives - at 4 and 7 they both speak Spanish and English fluently and have a broad view of cultures and people and, this is most important, feel loved by all sorts of people.
In terms of sewing, I stick to quilting for them, having quilted some of my grandson's "art" and she makes most of the clothes and we both appreciate each others talents. At one point she said she could never quilt like I do. Well, I know that isn't exactly true - if she turned to quilting she'd leave me in the dust - but it was kind of her to say.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM

You were just examining her level of quilt expertice. No fault or badthing. You just "stated" the facts. And you were seeing if. Her quilting could teach you something that you could use. Maybe next time you see her you could talk about quilting and her teqniques.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 AM

It seems to me that you are a very insightful, caring grandma who really loves her grandkids. A momentary lapse in kindness is understood, and it appears that you have recovered wonderfully. I think we can all understand a little envy from a grandma now and then. God bless you.
Judy
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM

I would say that you handled it well by adhering to the 'if it's not nice, don't say it' rule that more people should listen to! I would also venture that you are by no means the only person to have done/do this!!!

I do think you should keep up your own quilting, regardless of perfection, as long as it keeps you happy
Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM

"friend " her ..... wouldnt she understand , enjoy and cherish say, a wallhanging ?!?! You could have a new Quilting buddy !!!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 AM

You're a brave lady to post what perhaps many have thought in their hearts and unfortunately sometimes words that pass our lips... Thank-you for a sweet lesson in humility.

Now don't let this get you down...move on and know you are not alone, I dare say we Grandma's have all had our moments of irrational thinking, that we are 'losing' our Grandkids to another Grandma within our Grandkids lives.

What you are is the sweet Grandma no one can ever replace.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:45 AM

I understand how you might have reacted the way you did. You did keep your thoughts to yourself, so no harm really done. Hope you feel like quilting soon and you will be able to come up with the perfect pattern for your grandchildren.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 PM

I think you are a very nice person and it is totally natural to do what you did. I have a similar situation, but it was my sister and niece who made quilts for my only grandchild and I wanted to make his first quilt. They started working on them as soon as the pregnancy was announced. I was hurt, but I just decided that I would wait and make the first quilt for his "big boy" bed in a couple of years. The workmanship on the quilts was excellent-my sister and niece have taken quilting lessons. I haven't, but I am picky.

Pat
Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

“I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Well at lease you didn't take their quilts home and start ripping out seams and repairing. Yes, this happen to me. My sister, the culprit said she was only trying to help. Have you notice how some relatives get crazier as they get older, while you remain totally sane?