Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price of fabric? >

What is a fair price of fabric?

What is a fair price of fabric?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 AM

I agree with ghostrider. Lots of times it depends on the circumstances, the quilt and the timing.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM

I buy from Fabric. com and I am about to order from Connecting Threads. I have a quilt I am presently working on, so not shopping right now. I do buy from Joann's and Hancock, when DH and I travel to visit with our children and grandbabies. I just make quilts, for family. I too look for bargains. There is some really expensive fabric, and some reasonable. I find fabric.com and Connecting Threads to be reasonable. I get my backings from AAA quilter supplies. I pay around $9.95-$12.95 for a yd of 118". What's left over, I use for something else
Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 AM

I was working helping a friend who is closing her shop and she said suggested retail is $10.50 a yard for fabric.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 AM

I think "fair" is partially determined by how YOU perceive the value. We're all willing -or not - to pay a particular price for a particular piece of fabric. Just like with a car, or a piano or whatever. Prices are going to range from a dollar or two to over ten dollars a yard. If you like it and it's worth it to you, it's fair. If not, just don't buy it.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Check on line, connecting threads, hancock, there is a LOT of fabric for much better prices, Yes LQS need to stay in business but many of us cannot afford that much. I make great quilts and buy end of bolts (usually 1/2 price) or fabric on sale.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Our LQS charges average between $10 - $16 a meter, I always shop around JoAnn's, people on here de-stashing, I watch the sales online at Connecting Threads, Keepsake, Fabrics, etc I tend to buy a lot of my fabric in the US because it is significantly cheaper down there. I don't know where you live but there is Franks Bargain Center in NH that carries a lot of the designer labels and he charges between $3 a yard up to $7 a yard he has an eBay site as well. I think for good quality fabric a good price would be about $7 a yard.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Thanks! I have decided I love Moda fabric...lol. Every pattern I say Ooooh to is usually Moda. I have several patterns on my wishlist so far...Hometown by Sweetwater and Puttin' On the Ritz are my first two buys once payday gets here.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
Being a newbie and somewhat of a tight wad, lol, I tend to when I see some prices of fabric. I understand the higher the quality, the higher the price but what is a good price? I went to my LQS today, first time, and was just looking around since I had my DD with me. One fabric was $13.25/yd! It was nice fabric but still. I didn't catch the designer name...I was too shocked over the price to think to look. I have only shopped at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby currently and even their prices shock me sometimes.

So what is a bargain on nice quality fabric? Help me get over my shock. lol

Thanks!
I can't answer your question, but I rarely buy fabric from the Hancock's and Hobby Lobby in my city anymore. I almost (notice I said almost) buy exclusively from www.connectingthreads.com now. They have (in my humble opinion) the best quality quilting fabrics and collections, with the best threads to match, and free shipping if you buy a certain amount (and I always do.) They are always having sales, they have fat quarters, strips, charms, etc. and they have "collections" that coordinate. I have never been unhappy with any purchase from them. They always send plenty of fabric. If I order 2 yards I get just a little over and almost never have much, if any, trimming to do. They guarantee all purchases, even after the fabric has been cut. No, I don't work for them...lol. I am just really happy with their products and their service. I never have to wait long, usually within a week or less. Their prices are great, too.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by hokieappmom View Post
Connecting Threads online also has good quality fabric with free shipping on orders over $50. I've ordered quite a bit and love their fabric and the collections. I ususally order fat quarters. And they have fantastic sales.
I buy fabric from Connecting Threads...I also buy their cotton thread.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM

You cannot compare JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby as having what is coined "good quality" fabric with LQS who carry name brands.

As far as LQS goes at ours in a neighboring town I haven't seen any "good quality" fabric for over $11.98 a yard. She tries to keep it low compared to other retailers and LQS within a 50 mile radius and probably why she is doing so well. And what is higher priced is the wider fabric.

Usually really good quality fabric can be bought on SALE at about $3.95 to $5.95 a yard but it is as I said good quality.

I base good quality on the thickness of the fabric. If I hold it to the light and I can see light than it is not good quality. Also the feel of the fabric will give you an idea of good quality.

I use to think of fabric as to expensive but I also learned quickly that if you want something to look nice you must spend more for a better quality of fabric. You can find good quality fabric for quilting for about $5.95 a yard if you do your research.

I do quite a bit of buying online with a handful of sellers that have a small LQS in there area and even shipping it here it is still cheaper than paying over $6 a yard. And I do spend quite a bit at the local LQS and pay anywhere from $2.98 a yard to as high as $7.98 a yard. I can't recall buying any I like there for over $7.98 a yard. I usually maintain up to $5.98 a yard though in that LQS.

In searching locally for good quality fabric I have had some luck in thrift stores and yes even one of the Walmarts in a neighboring town by buying the whole bolt at $1.50 a yard but that is not not always.