Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS >

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Having had a couple of small businesses in my working life (before retirement) trying to dig out a living against large chains was very tough. So, I do buy occasionally from chains, but most of my purchases (not only fabric) comes from small business owners . Remember, our country was built on their shoulders. I hate seeing our little business pushed out. Having traveled our country while working, it was heart breaking how chains put so many small businesses out of business with their lower prices and gimicks and then up their prices when the little guy was gone and the downtown of small towns turned into "Ghost Towns". Support you "Local Sheriff" whenever you can.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM

THanks for the interesting article
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the interesting article. I support my local quilt shops because even though the price is a tiny bit higher the quality is so much better. I have to drive at least 50 miles to get to a Joanns and quilt shops since they are in the same area. If I am driving that far I would rather support the quilt shops than Joanns for fabric but I like to buy my notions at Joanns when I have a coupon.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Our small town quilt shop is awesome - The Cedar Chest Quilt Shoppe in El Campo, TX. Every month there is something exciting going on - a shop hop in February, a mystery quilt starting in March... The very knowledgeable staff is friendly and makes a point of greeting everyone who walks in the door. There are only 4 on staff including the owner and her mother, but always at least 2 working - depending on the day of the week or what event is happening. They have others who are enlisted when they know the shop will be busy. They'll cut anything you want, cut their end-of-bolts in 2.5" strip bags for a good price, have $3.99 and $5.99/yard sale shelves ... can't say enough good about them. We have a Farmer's Wife Sampler club that meets once a month and have great deals on those days. This month it was buy one thing and get 40% off one item. I got a yard of sale fabric then got 40% off a quilt kit I've been wanting for months.

Our Wal-mart has fabric and wonderful people - when you can find them. I've started calling the customer service desk from my cell phone as soon as I step into the department. Byt the time I'm ready there is usually someone there to cut for me. (I've also been tempted to cut it myself!)

Joann's is an hour drive away and I save it for notions with their coupons. I've been disappointed in fabric I've bought there - except for fleece. They are well-organized and very ready for sales - people at the door with copies of the ad and help directing you where you need to go. Most of us know the secret there is to grab a number for cutting before you start to shop.

Hobby Lobby - an hour away - seems to have better fabric than what I find at Joanns. The staff there is nice, but never seems to know where anything is.

I do order online - Joann's for Best Press was my most recent order. Even with shipping the coupon makes this the most reasonable price I can find. BUT I just got an email cancelling my Best Press order - out of the scent I wanted. Didn't ask if I'd accept a different scent, but send the rest of the order - cheap notions - without applying the coupon! I'm not happy and have written to see if they can change that.

I guess I agree with the lady who said she buys fabric wherever they sell it.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Very good. Our Walmart does sell a nice line of fabrics though nothing like the LQS for selection. However, I have a problem with them not staffing it properly!!! One day a man from the sporting goods dept. had to come over to cut the fabric and had NO idea how to do it! STUPID STUPID STUPID on Walmart's part. I complained to the manager. Nor should they expect an expert on fabric to sell a gun!!!! Unfortunately, that hurts the new quilter...........they NEED the guidance!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM

I DO NOT understand all of the uproar about cotton prices being up, as you know the majority of fabric we use is printed or woven in china, they get the majority of their cotton base fabric fron Egypt, because the USA has lower cotton yeilds do not apply to other countrys, I believe we are being RIPPED OF by the media hipe.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM

I've been told that just because a designer puts their name on a product, that doesn't necessarily mean the product is good. Designers sell their "designs, patterns call it what you will but the same print can be put on any type of weave. The thread count is what's important. So, just because the big box stores are selling a fabric with a designers name on it, that doesn't mean that they are selling the same quality fabric.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Great article with lots to think about and consider. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM

It is important for me to support all of the LQS wherever I go!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM

thanks for sharing. Good article