Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS >

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

I noticed in JoAnn's the other day that they have brought back the bell on the cutting table...They may not have a lot of employee's in the store, but when I rang the bell just once...the employee called out from stocking shelves that she was on her way...much better than in the past.
I don't have a decent LQS within 30 minutes...so, when I go I tend to want to browse alot. I usually tell them when I walk in that I will be awhile, so that they aren't hanging around the cutting area waiting for me.
I shop on line lately, at a couple of favorite shops...but, I do support the local LQS.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the article. JoAnn's service has gotten better, but I still prefer the LQS for fabric. I use JoAnn's for some notions, magazines, and some storage items, and ott lamps.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

So many places are closing down these days, I just hope we can all keep getting fabric from somewhere. I know we all like wherever we shop for fabric to be treated with respect. It is also nice for there to be someone there who can help us with things we are not sure about. Things are just changing so fast it seems. I hope it all works out. Hope everyone has fun sewing this weekend.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by MaggieBB View Post
I DO NOT understand all of the uproar about cotton prices being up, as you know the majority of fabric we use is printed or woven in china, they get the majority of their cotton base fabric fron Egypt, because the USA has lower cotton yeilds do not apply to other countrys, I believe we are being RIPPED OF by the media hipe.
The majority of greige goods (the base woven goods that fabric is printed upon) are woven in China. If you get your fabric from Wal-mart or Joannes or other outlets selling cheap fabrics, they are also mostly printed in China.

If you are buying from your LQS, or from your small online retailers most of the fabric is printed in Korea, with the best fabrics being printed in Korea and Japan. I personally will not carry fabrics printed in China, the quality just isn't there for the most part.

Cotton is grown in over 90 different countries. The largest producers are China, India and the USA followed by Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Brazil. These 6 countries produce over 83% of the worlds supply of cotton. Egypt does grow some fine cotton, but it is a limited crop there.

China is also the largest consumer of cotton, as well as the largest importer. The largest exporter of cotton is the USA. China's share of cotton consumption has grown exponentially as their population has exploded both in terms of size and in terms of affluence, while the rest of the world's consumption has remained pretty steady over the years.

There is no media hype here -- just good old supply and demand. As production has remained rather flat and demand has gone up, mainly due to increased demand from China, prices have risen. It's just that simple. And when the worlds largest supplier of raw cotton, the USA, has a bad year, the prices go up even more.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
QKO

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I've been told that just because a designer puts their name on a product, that doesn't necessarily mean the product is good. Designers sell their "designs, patterns call it what you will but the same print can be put on any type of weave. The thread count is what's important. So, just because the big box stores are selling a fabric with a designers name on it, that doesn't mean that they are selling the same quality fabric.
This is very true. Top fabric designers, however, usually work with one manufacturer and they work together to determine the quality of goods the fabric will be printed upon. Higher-quality fabrics will also have a lot of quality control on how the finishing is done. It will be interesting to see how successful, in the long run, designers are that allow their names to be put on cheap, poor quality fabrics.

Thread count is somewhat important, but just because you have a high thread count, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a high quality fabric, or a fabric that is desirable for quilting. You can have a very high thread-count fabric made with extremely thin or cheap thread and you probably won't like it very much for quilting. Take for instance, 800 thread-count bed sheeting. It's nice to sleep on provided it is made from high-quality threads, but you wouldn't want to use it for quilting.

Most higher-quality quilting fabric is made from fairly thick threads and is a 60 square fabric (60 threads per square inch). Some higher-quality fabric is printed on 75 square using a slightly finer thread, which gives it a finer feel. Batiks and hand-dyes are often on much higher thread count fabric but use thinner threads in the weave. The better Indonesian batiks and hand-dyes have a higher thread count than the better printed quilting fabrics, but actually weigh quite a bit less since they are a lot thinner. The high thread count in batiks is required because of the dyeing process they use in producing those fabrics. The higher thread count is what makes batiks more difficult to hand quilt.

There are a lot of other factors that determine the difference between cheap fabric and fine fabric, including the quality of the designs and original engravings, the quality of the dyes and printing processes, and the quality of the finishing.

Most of the highest quality quilting fabrics are produced in limited quantities and are reserved for sale by LQS's and small online stores. Some of the quilt fabric manufacturers have been really good about working to ensure that shops and small online stores have a fighting chance against the big box stores and the online giants, but it's still tough to compete against them when they have such huge advantages in purchasing power and in preferential shipping rates.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM

My LQS is absolutely THE BEST for fabric, sewing, classes, and just "hanging out" with other quilters. They have big tables in a well lit area of the store that anyone can come and quilt/do work.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM

I've bought fabric in North Little Rock, AR for the past10 years at JoAnn's and they've always been friendly and given good service, but until recently the fabric quality wasn't very good. But I bought there anyway because the LQS was not friendly and would make racist remarks and give political opinions. I don't think any business helps themselves when they try to engage customers with that. They were also the pfaff dealer which I have , so I was forced to go in occasionally, but I always dreaded it. I know live 2 hours away and have 1 hancocks and 1 hobby lobby. So far everyone has been nice and friendly.

Last edited by jeanharville; 01-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM

I try my best to keep my business at my LQS they have sales and clearance fabric, not coupons. If i had more money I would buy more of their more expensive fabric to. I sometimes buy some blenders or solids in Joannne's but thats it. I want LQS their service so I have to support them. I really stay away from ebay for fabric. I don't know if I'm getting bed bugs with my fabric and I have to think about that to.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM

I avoid Wally World, so buying fabric there isn't something I would do. My local JoAnns is a mile from my house, very small, but has some good staff and I can usually find what I need there. A larger Joanns a few miles away is completely different - colder and less personal Sure the selection is bigger, but more doesnt always mean better.

I am getting back into quilting after a break of several years (doing mending, some home sewing and enjoying other pursuits) so I stopped in the LQS (about 3 miles from home) just to see what they had. My first visit wasn't great - the staff wasn't unfriendly, but they weren't exactly bubbly either. I wasn't sure I would return, until I realized I loved one of the fabrics I had purchased and wanted more of it, so back I went. It was a completely different experience. The staff (different people) and other customers were delightful, helpful and welcoming. It changed my impression.

So for me the bottom line is that you should shop where you feel comfortable. If you like what you see, but not WHO you see, try another time of day or a different day of the week. You might find somone you can "click" with. I'll continue to stop in at JoAnns for some things, and yes, their coupons are great. But I'll also visit the LQS. I'll just avoid the people I wasn't crazy about! I am fortunate to have a few options so close to my house!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 PM

The "local" Walmart and LQS, are both about 35 miles each way...so, a good 70 mile round trip. Walmart is in a less crowded city...so, I usually go there...unless there is something new I want to try...rulers, etc...then I make a special trip to my LQS.