Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS >

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Interesting article re: Chain stores vs LQS

Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 AM

When I want quality I shop my LQS, when I want a deal I use a coupon at Joann's. There are some Joann employees that are really helpful and others need to just stock shelves. In the Horseheads, NY Joann Fabrics, I saw an employee help an elderly lady selecting fabric. She stuck with the lady about 1 minute, then walked away saying " I guess you'll just have to go thru all the fabric" ! I couldn't believe the employee did this ! The elderly lady then turned to me and I did try and give her some ideas.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 AM

I've been frustrated w/ the quality of fabric at JoAnn's - and the people working at my local JAF don't know anything - they sadly don't even cut fabric accurately..I have to watch them like a hawk. I needed about 10 yds for a project and couldn't get it in one piece. Could use 2 pieces, but wow, the 2 pieces on the same bolt were so different in quality that it wasn't even funny. I would have been afraid to order more of the "same" - I'm not sure it would have been the "same"

Last edited by 117becca; 01-21-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 AM

It's interesting how different stores operate. We have Jo Anns and Hobby Lobby here. I've been very happy with the service at each. They always ask what I'm making and we talk about it. I'm taking an embroidery class Tuesday at a lqs and this will be my first experience with them. It will be interesting to compare.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM

I agree. LQS are set up to deal with quilting questions and advice. They are quilters and love fabric. The owners have so much invested in their shop that they will offer what customers want where ever possible. They will offer classes suited to their customers.

I have for so long discussed on this board that if each of us that have LQS near us we should once a month purchase something from them. No less than $10 and the sky is the limit. By doing that it will give the LQS a steady source of income and hopefully not become one of these many stores that cannot keep their doors open. Financially if you have to go to the big stores, at least take a class or buy a yard of fabric occasionally at the LQS. You will love the atmosphere there.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Default fabric

Well, here I go:: I have seen LQS owners buy fabric on sale at WalMart then sell it higher in their shop. I have found good and bad fabric in all fabric shops, hi and low prices also. But , the chain store does not order 1 bolt of fabric and make a quilt out of it and then display the quilt and not have any of that fabric to sell. If a new quilter sees a quilt and want to make it, there is no option on how to put the colors together, being new, and no one to help coridinate the color schem. Chain store offer patterns and the fabrics to go with the pattern, whereas LQS use the fabric they order and none left but leftovers for the pattern that was seen. I my self have looked for certain fabrics advertized in the Quilting Magazines and could only find maybe one or two in a quilt shop because the owner has taken all the fabric and used it and did not reorder any at all or the manufacturer only made one bolt of each??? Not really sure but it gets to be very discouraging.....then especially for a new quilter. (I have been quilting for 30 yrs.). This is the worst I have seen for suppy.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 PM

My LQS has very knowledgable people that are passionate about quilting. I went to the states to a Walmart and the guy told me that he knew nothing about fabric he is just there to cut and price. Such a let down and the fabric was not great either.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania View Post
I've had the opposite experience. At my local Joann's, the employees are really nice to me and give great service while at the LQS nearest to me, they won't even lower themselves to speak to me.
LQS will cut whatever I need, however I have waited up to 30 minutes or more just to pay for my items. Have come close to just laying down the fabric and walking out. Classes are offered during the day, so if you work you're just SOL. I no longer support my LQS
Old 01-27-2012, 04:31 PM

The closest LQS is in a room in an Amish home. At least second generation as the store was formerly down the road in Grandmother's front parlor. Brother works the main farm and his family has a road-side stand in season. My DDIL purchased beautiful flowers for her September wedding from the cutting garden they grew. Our LQS is a treat, a pleasure, an experience.
Can you get free-range eggs at your LQS? I can. [ATTACH=CONFIG]306727[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  

Last edited by Greenheron; 01-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Good article. I'm like many of you - no lqs here in town so use the chain stores but do shop in lqs when I travel.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
Can you get free-range eggs at your LQS?
Actually, come to think of it, yes, I can, at one of my LQSes! rofl!!!