Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your sewing machine's name >

Your sewing machine's name

Your sewing machine's name

Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM

No tv, like to go to the sewing room to get away from it. Do listen to audio books on the cd player, though. :P
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Mine is a newer lighter weight Brother model. My husband bought it and suprised me with it! When he was in line to purchase it, a couple in front of him said, " You can go ahead of us, that looks heavy. " My husband replied, "Oh, it's not heavy. It's my Brother!" So I just call it my brother. :)
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Had a Nissan stationwagon named Dagwood. Have two cats -- Big Kitty and Little Kitty. Have a Bernina I call "Big Mama" when I have to move her to the quilt frame. Just acquired a Featherweight but dunno what to name her yet.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I don't know how to copy and paste in this format, but as for having a lot of machines, I do, but credit garage sales and people deciding to throw away their machines because they can't make them work, and because I sew, whenever someone decides a machine isn't their bag, they ask me, and I cannot say no! such a weakling! LOL It works out nicely because I can move from one machine to the next if one breaks down ... of course, the mechanic is alway happy to see me coming through with four machines at a time for repair ...
No need to copy and paste - look in upper left corner for 'quote' - that's how cc and paste to directly answer someone.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM

I have a treadle that I call Glenn, (bought it from my cousin Glenn). A Singer feather weight I call Becky, (bought it from my cousin Becky). My longarm is "Das Boot" Long story short.......my husband has bought 3 boats during our marriage so when I got my longarm I told him that this was "my boat". (I did not feel guilty about the $$$ because of that). My Janome and Pfaff are Janome and Pfaff....cute?? hahaha I also have a hand crank machine, but haven't thought of a name yet. Can't call her Emily....that's my computer's name.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 AM

This is cute, I've never been creative enought to think about naming my machines, even though they have been called a few. I do have one I call Grandma's Machine. In fact I am having a difficult time deciding what to call our now ten month old grandson. He is a Junior --- His parents call him Little Bill or Junior --- I've wanted to call him Willie, but my daughter says that reminds her of Willie Nelson and that's out. He is such a sweet heart and he does answer to Little Bill, but he is also responding to my "Hey Kid". He stays with me several times a week now and he is really cutting into my quilting time since he is a real explorer. He has been saying Nana for a good while now, so one would think that I could settle on a special, sweet name for him.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by nana2
This is cute, I've never been creative enought to think about naming my machines, even though they have been called a few. I do have one I call Grandma's Machine. In fact I am having a difficult time deciding what to call our now ten month old grandson. He is a Junior --- His parents call him Little Bill or Junior --- I've wanted to call him Willie, but my daughter says that reminds her of Willie Nelson and that's out. He is such a sweet heart and he does answer to Little Bill, but he is also responding to my "Hey Kid". He stays with me several times a week now and he is really cutting into my quilting time since he is a real explorer. He has been saying Nana for a good while now, so one would think that I could settle on a special, sweet name for him.
How about Will? I know the problem well. My husband is CCS III, and there was no way we were going to get out of naming our son CC IV. Our big decision through2 pregnancies (our first was our DD Kelly) was what to CALL him. He's Bud.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 AM

I have a 1970s Montgomery Ward Signature. Her name is Talulah.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 AM

It is great to know that others have hung onto some of those older sewing machines, they have been great work horses and still work well. I am planning to have work done on my Grandmother's Machine so I can utilize it for free motion quilting. It is filled with dust from the dirt road that went by the side of her house, but it sews like a pro -- the foot pedal needs to be replaced and I understand that the newer pedals can be used. It also has some very great attachments --- there is a very neat pleater, the lacks of which I have never before seen, it works GREAT and I call it the contraption. The brand is Atlas and I looked on the net for this; info I found indicates that Atlas has something to do with some heavy duty tailoring. My grandmother never quilted on this, but she was a perfectionist in everything except housekeeping. Now that I am a grandmother and helping my daughter with her children, I understand that if I want to have a life other than cooking, laundry, cleaning house, I cannot maintain my home to the standards of my younger years -- but who cares --- I bet my granddaughter will not remember how much dust was on the top of the refrigerator when we were sewing on her quilts.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM

I have a Elna named LuLu and my Brother machine is named Bert
but then again I have 2 computers a desktop and a laptop and they are named Elvis and Pracilla, right along with our 2 cars named Belle and Lucille.

Lisa