Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My brother's quilt is DONE!! >

My brother's quilt is DONE!!

My brother's quilt is DONE!!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Pam, that is so beautiful, it made me cry, but in a good way, if you know what I mean!

K x
Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Humans were created to produce something. It is what in our heads and hearts that dictates whether what we produce is good or bad (not as in quality but as in substance) ....
Your rendering of the thought prompted me to think ... it has been my observation that those of us are creative will create, whether the government funds it or not. It is who we are, and you can't stop us! Take away my knitting needles, and I swear, I will use barbed wire needles to knit grass something!
I can't paint a picture, but I know when I see that artistic medium ... they would be making those pictures out of cow dung if that was all that was left for creating with ... you just can't stop them!
That is what your Japanese embroidery thoughts brought to my mind. I might not agree about humans taking nothing and creating it into something, but I definitely believe that there are a lot of humans who will take something and make it into something more useful or beautiful, as the case may be.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM

I believe that we are hardwired to create. From the beginning of time when humans created art and beauty out of clay and stone, painted with crushed pigments. People have adorned their bodies and their clothing because it is pleasing to the touch, the eyes, and to the heart and soul.

Whether someone believes in one or many Gods, Goddesses, the Creator or a Prime Force in the Universe… it has given us the spark to create as It/He/She created.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM

I absolutely love your color choices. That is a stunning quilt. What a lucky brother, to have a wonderful sister like you. Great job!
Christine
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Pam,
it sounds like you had a loving relationship with your parents/family. THanks to that, you have nice memories of your parents to sustain you in your grief AND you and your siblings are still tight after the loss. That's all that matters.

I hope you share your brother's reaction when he gets his "bread box'
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM

I was very close to my parents. I am the youngest of 4 children, they are 12, 10 and 5 years older than me. My mother was my best friend, talked to her almost every day and saw her often. I took care of her at home with hospice the weeks before she died. It took a very long time to not automatically think of calling mom whenever anything good, or bad, happened.

My father was the kindest, gentlest, and most intelligent man I know. He was a genius that "tinkered" and made things like a hydrogen motor. I would bring bugs, plants and whatever to him so we could look at them under a microscope. He walked me to school with his rifle a few times after I was bitten by the same dog. I was loved and safe. As one of his friends said, "He never had a bad thing to say."

They are dearly missed.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM

My brother came by this evening and I gave him the quilt. He said, "For me?!?" He's a strong silent type but I know he was pleased. He said he'd hang it on the wall. I said... "It's a little big for that." :D I unfolded it all the way and told him on my queen size bed it will go over the pillows. He said he's gonna need a bigger bed, he has a double. I said no... that's fine it will just cover it more. He seemed a little lost discussing something like bedding.

I told him how to care for it and that the best thing was to USE it, put it on the bed. If he stores it, don't store it in plastic. If it's folded, take it out every 6 months a re-fold it on different lines.

I explained about the CW fabric and what it means to our family. I said it was tied, not quilted. He said "Oh. If you're not done with it...." I said no, it's done. It's just tied like grandma did hers.

He was bewildered but pleased. :)

Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Well done! :-)

Sounds like it went perfectly.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM

What a beautiful quilt. It looks perfect for a man. Your brother will grow to love it the more he uses it, I'm sure of that. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have a wonderful family.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Pam that was so touching, the way you describe giving your brother his quilt. It sounds to me like he was a little overwhelmed!

K x