Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to distribute my new patterns? >

How to distribute my new patterns?

How to distribute my new patterns?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by anita211 View Post
What about Craftsy.com? You decide the price and post the pattern...

Anita in Northfield, MN
You may not sell a lot of patterns on Craftsy.com but they do sell. I've sold three of my umbrella wall hanging patterns so far.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM

HUGE THANKS to everyone. What a wealth of info and encouragement!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM

you can get some good information here. wow you must have a creative mind.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltapillow View Post
Do a self copyright by sending yourself a book dated and keep it sealed when you receive it back in the mail. If it happens someone copies it you have legal recorse with the unopended book postmarked and delivered to you as the date you wrote it; to prove it is yours. Be sure to put your own mark on it.also.
This is entirely untrue and a dangerous myth. The only time you have any legal recourse for copyright infringement is if you have registered your copyright with the US Copyright Office before the infringement took place. The fee is $35 online and $50 by mail.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM

I recently posted some patterns for sale on Craftsy, and also on my blog. I've had some good response from both those. I do appreciate this thread however - it's given me some ideas for additional marketing.

Last edited by patricej; 05-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
Thanks for your suggestions.
I used to work for a very well known cross stitch designer. She started by selling to the local shops, then got connected with the distributors those shops dealt with. Ask them for names and addresses. Send the distributors at least 3 different designs to introduce yourself. The more the better! They'll know you're serious that way. We went to a large trade show on the East Coast and made great contacts. We didn't display, just checked out fabric suppliers, framers, etc. and the bigger distributors. I produced my own designs after a few years learning the business end of it, but didn't go as far as she has. I created a small catalogue and sent it out to shops I saw advertising in cross stitch magazines. Got several customers that way! You could check out shops advertizing in quilt magazines. Getting that first fan letter was great and getting letters from Europe was sooo exciting! I still had small children and it just became too much so I ended my business in 1999. I often think of sending designs in to magazines to be considered for publication but never have. Hmmmm maybe 'someday'! God bless and enjoy the ride!
Alice
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by annemarcellis View Post
Does anyone know the best way to distribute my new patterns? I know quilters will love to sew them. I think going to every quilt shop will take years!!!
Thanks for your suggestions.
Did anyone mention these?

http://quiltwoman.com/designers.aspx
&
http://www.thequiltpatternshoppe.com/patterndesigners/
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM

I love hearing all this information. It gets my wheels going for what I would like to do to hit the "big time"! Good luck
annemarcellis. I can't wait to buy your patterns!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u
Please post photos.
Because this thread is entirely a discussion of how the OP can market her patterns, I think the 'powers that be' would consider her posting photos of them here as marketing...something that is clearly against the rules of the board and unfair to the other pattern designers in our membership. My hunch is that the previously posted photos were deleted for that very reason.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks-I sure didn't have that intent. Where do I go to post pictures? My profile? I tried but it won't "save"