Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash >

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Old fashion home remedies for diaper rash

Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 PM

bag balm for cow's utters worked wonders
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 PM

My daughter put milk of magnese on the rash and it helped - not sure why she did but it definitely helped.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:03 PM

Cornstarch is the best. That is what I used for my kids 40 years ago. Know several people that have had trouble with rashes & told them about it & they were amazed how well it worked for them too. It is very soothing to the skin. If used after every change, shouldn't have any more problem.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM

Haven't read thru all the posts to know if Ihle's paste has been suggested. My children suffered from diaper rash...after certain foods they ate. They were eating so many different kinds it was hard to pin point the cause. That said, my go to cream was non-prescription and found at only one drugstore chain in my city. I had never heard of it, but the dr. recommended it & it created such a thick barrier to keep the dampness off their skin and clear up anything they had. One of my babies suffered frequently. It is SUPER thick, economically, and very effective. it gave my kids relief very quickly. And one jar (under $10) lasted thru 2 kids as I only used it for rash times. http://www.rougier.com/newEnglish/di...ionid=7&pid=34

good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 AM

kjdavis4, you got to Boudreaux's Butt Paste before I could get to it. Yes, it works....and it works on hemorrhoids, too! And my grandmother, mom, AND my doctor (1960s) recommended using a loosely woven cotton cloth (I used to cut off a piece of a Curity gauze diaper -- yes, I used cloth diapers!) and make a "sachet" with cornstarch. Use it to "dust" the baby's bottom liberally. Today, we use those little sachets for marking our designs on quilts. How times have changed!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM

This is a REAL home remedy!! A mud dabber's nest!! My Grandmother was the local, Granny woman, she made salves,teas,poultices and God only knows what else. All from herbs ,roots,leaves and bark she would gather from the woods. She also birthed lots of babies. My sister's baby had a terrible case of diaper rash,we had tried everything, but nothing helped! Granny kept saying " use the dabber nest", but my sis said "no way am I putting that on my baby" We just thought Granny was old and senile. Finally, my Mom made my sis put the dabbers nest on the baby and within 24 hours the rash was cleared up!! I've used dabber's nest ever since !
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM

I always used a layer of lotrimin topped with butt paste or a & d, but I remember the dr saying if you want to keep it natural vegetable oil will work in place of the butt paste. After baths leave the diaper off as long as possible to air dry the area.

The key is determining what's causing the problem. It could even be the brand of diapers, a yeast infection, food allergy ( baby food peas was an issue for my daughter) getting them potty trained as soon as possible is a good idea as well. My dr said when they can say bottle or diaper they don't need them anymore.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 AM

Back when my brother was a baby my mom used cornstarch instead of talcum powder.
For my bunch I used Desitin or A&D ointment. DD also used the Desitin or the Boudreaux Butt Paste.
As mentioned before, the main thing is to keep the area as clean and dry as possible.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Bag Balm--get it at farm supply vendors
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by kjdavis4 View Post
Boudreaux's Butt Paste, yes that's a real product. It works!!

That's what we used on our grandson. His rash was so bad that his skin would wipe off when we tried to clean his little bottom. the Butt Paste really covered and hung on!