Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking >
  • Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

• Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 AM

I have a Viking DI and it is a work horse. Go use any machine you are interested in for a couple of hours, take some various projects to work on so you can get comfortable and confident with the machine. It's money invested so do your test drive! I love the auto foot myself. I too quilt and love to play tennis!
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 AM

I have 2 Vikings- one about 11 years old, and new top of the line Emb machine. My good friend has the same Sapphire you're looking at and just love them all. The large harp area is great if you do FMGing. We have 2 excellent dealing locally, so I agree that's really important in your decision. Good luck with your decision!
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 AM

I love my Janome 8900. I bought it when my Bernina 1530 needed repair. Getting to expensive when it has to be repaired every year. Also have the Janome 350E embroidery machine. Love both.
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 AM

I'm a Viking gal, have 5. I started out with the Designer I in 2000, and now am up to the Designer Diamond. I also have an SE and a Topaz 30. The Topaz and the Diamond have the larger throatspace, which is wonderful. I love all the automatic stuff, the auto footlift, and the needle threader. I have arthritis in my hands, so all that stuff is very important to me. I know nothing about any of the other machines, but once a Viking owner, always a Viking owner. It has a wonderful needle up/down feature, which is great for pivoting at corners when applying binding, etc. The other brands may have that too, don't know. My dealer is just the best, and service on them is minimal.
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 and a Bernina 440QE I love them both but at times wish for the larger throat space I wouls say test drive both and buy what suits your needs and I don't think you could go wrong with either both machines have great recommendations but I do really really like the BSR foot
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 AM

Both are excellent choices. Go and try them out and get a feel see which one feels and sounds good to you. Also what each has (or doesn't that could be a deal breaker). And very important the dealer! For me my dealer sells both sooo. But test them with things you normally sew and do that's the only way.
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 AM

I am a viking fan....I have 3 that I use. I bought the first one in 1976. I also have a 775, and a diamond. Love the diamond most!!! I think that most of the brands have good machines to fall in love with! My sister has a Janome. The biggest harp would be a selling point. Too bad there wasn't a store where we could go and drive them all to compare! I agree with Treasureit...too bad they all made in places like China.
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM

I have 2 older Vikings and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! Test drive and see what you like.
    Old 08-08-2013, 04:59 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Bernina 185. I think it is personal preference. Go with what would make you happiest and meet your needs.
    Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 AM

I know I'm late chiming in here. I've had a Viking Rose since the late 90s and it still sews like a dream. I bought a Viking Designer Ruby last year and love it. You can't go wrong with Viking. That being said, I know people who have Berninas who love them. I would go look and test drive both and decide which I liked better. I don't think you can wrong with either one!! Good luck!