Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance >
  • elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

• elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM

I see a lot of good information in this post. However, there is one that I don't see (hopefully, I didn't just miss it). When marking your machine for your 1/4 inch or scant 1/4 inch seam it is very important that this marking-tape or paper or whatever you use- by several inches long. It should be placed so that half of the length is in front of the needle and half behind the needle. Then hold the patches or segments of the block up against the marked line for the full length of the seam. If you don't start and finish straight, your seam will veer off and the pressing will be off. Another technique that works until you have a true visual feel for seam width is to cut scraps of graph paper, adhere them to your pieces and feed them through the machine.
    Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1
    I am so frustrated, and sad. Each time I start a new project, I have such high hopes: I'm going to do it right this time, I'm going to cut perfectly, I'm going to do the 1/4 inch seam test before I start piecing, I'm going to use the correct thread and needle, etc. And then, I CAN NOT get the seam to work out so the block is the correct size! I mean, CAN NOT. And then I get frustrated, and I start forcing the blocks together, or re-cutting them, until it all gets so muddled that I don't even want to finish. I know without watching me none of you can probably help figure out what I am doing wrong. I've done 2 test blocks and so far each is too small. I was very careful in cutting, so I know it's something I am doing while sewing. I try to sew a "scant" 1/4. I honestly feel like giving up quilting, and after being so excited to start sewing something new just 2 days ago. Thanks .
    Oh bless you, please don't beat yourself up about this, we all do the same, I have been making quilts for twenty years, still not perfect.The thing is I make them with love,often for some charity or other.I don't want to enter shows ,tho' I love to see the ones that do.You say two days ago! Goodness me give yourself some credit, relax and enjoy.The first quilters made quilts that are now so admired and bring huge prices, not because they are perfect but because they were made with love and the only materials available. Go for it ,keep the craft alive.Love Letty
    Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 AM

I was using the side of 1/4" foot and thought when I measured it that all was fine but things weren't and I've had one of these for some time and now have blue painter's tape marking the distance. http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting...ef=pd_sim_ac_1 Nancy's Notions also has a gauge that does the same thing. Good luck. I now know to use the same thing to sew every block instead of the foot one time and the tape another.
    Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM

SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!! I feel like the most foolish person in the world right now. Embarrassed X 10. So, I did another test , trying out some of the suggestions here. Still short. But I measured the center of the 3-piece test strip and it was spot on. How could this be-the center of 3 strips is spot on but the entire width is still off? It was only then that I discovered that I was measuring from the end of my ruler; well, the edge of my ruler gives an additional 1/4 inch line. So, if I measure from the edge of the ruler, it is automatically adding 1/4 inch. When I re-measured starting at the 1 inch mark, it was pretty darn close. DOH! I hope that makes sense?
    Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
    Power Poster

this ruler, for example?
    Attached Thumbnails img029.jpg  
    Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Don't be so tough on yourself. Only the quilt police will measure to make sure the seams are a "perfect 1/4", and I keep them too busy at my house.
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM

I bought the same little appliance as notmorecraft mentioned, or sounds the same. It has been a lifesaver! If I knew where online I got it, I would be glad to say, but don't remember. I have one on each machine, and they are lifesavers! It also just takes a lot of time and practice. Sometimes I think we expect too much of ourselves and want everything to be perfect--too soon! I am guilty of that. Mariah
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM

yes, bearisgray!
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM

I use my 1/4 inch foot with guide. I have one for everyone of my sewing machines. It makes a beautiful seam and it also makes sewing curved pieces so easy. I also went to e-Bay and bought acrylic guide. It has marks on the guide for a scant 1/4 inch, a regular 1/4 inch and other marks. It is really handy to have and it was only a few dollars.It is called a Clear 1/8 Laser Cut & Engraved Ezy Seam Helper. I bought so that I can use my Mom's treadle sewing machine. Her treadle is a straight stitch only machine, so I needed to know where 1/4 is and put a metal guide there so that I can sew accurately. I have no connection to the company that makes this item, I just found it useful. Good Luck!
    Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sarge1
    SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!! I feel like the most foolish person in the world right now. Embarrassed X 10. So, I did another test , trying out some of the suggestions here. Still short. But I measured the center of the 3-piece test strip and it was spot on. How could this be-the center of 3 strips is spot on but the entire width is still off? It was only then that I discovered that I was measuring from the end of my ruler; well, the edge of my ruler gives an additional 1/4 inch line. So, if I measure from the edge of the ruler, it is automatically adding 1/4 inch. When I re-measured starting at the 1 inch mark, it was pretty darn close. DOH! I hope that makes sense?
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Not terribly long ago, I was having some MAJOR issues, with some of my blocks. I kept cutting exactly on the mark but they kept turning out the wrong size. To make a long story short, I was measuring/cutting some, from the wrong end of the ruler. I don't think "DOH" even begins to cover that.