Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance >

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM

So I went away for the weekend-away from home and my sewing machine-and feel rejuvenated after reading all these wonderful posts! Sooo many good suggestions of things to try! I have done some of them already, but have not tried several of these things. Tomorrow when my son goes to school, I will sit down and have another go at it. I also had some time to look at the manual that came with my machine, and have a few other things to try like the "correct" presser foot :/
I should say, when I started quilting 20 years ago, I learned by tracing around plastic templates, and hand piecing. I am very accurate with hand piecing, but it is so time consuming. All other techniques such as rotary cutting and machine piecing, are self taught. Perhaps a beginner course is in order at this point.
I should also say that even though I started 20 years ago, I am not a prolific quilter-I'm slow, and part of the reason I'm slow is this frustration with not getting things right. Yes, I am a perfectionist.
Having said that, the 2 sample blocks I made for this new quilt are 1/8 too small, each one. So, they are "consistently" off, I guess I can take comfort in that, huh? lol. I know, 1/8 might not seem like a big deal, but it is when I had such high hopes for perfection. Thank you all so much for taking some time to help me.

Last edited by sarge1; 09-15-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM

Glad to hear you are rejuvinated! Having read most of the previous posts, it seems the cutting may be your primary issue. I have learned over the years to cut on the 'heavy' side - i.e. the 'longer/wider' side of the measurement than the 'shorter/narrower' side of the line on the rule. Also, using the same ruler throughout the project makes for more accuracy as well. Sometimes we need to use different rulers for squaring up and such. Best advise, beyond all the rest you've already been given...try to make sure all of your rulers are of the same manufacturer. It CAN make a difference. Good luck and don't be quite so hard on yourself!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM

start with quilts that it doesn't matter so much...

log cabins. rail fences. scrappy anything.

just let the perfection thing go and be proud of what you make

aileen
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 AM

I've been in your boat, what helps me is if I'm doing HST's I sew them bigger, then cut them down to size, put them all together and you're block should measure up right.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 AM

I got the 1/4 foot you should try that. But to not be so hard on your self. What you make is going to look good at the end. I just keep going I just feel it some thing I make some one done the line is going to wont to keep it when it is all said and done for me. But them I'm not doing to for a Show that not me. I just do quilt because I love making them. Most of my quilts are all left over pieces one was make out of old shirts there not going to look like a show room you sell for hundreds may be when I die there may be one in there that end us that good but it ok just make it and love the lovely block you end up from nothing.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 AM

I am so glad I am not the only one who has this problem. I have been thinking about just stop trying but then a little voice keeps saying " you can do this". I have adjusted my needle position and am now making sure I have made good cuts. I have also slowed down, I go at everything like I am fighting a fire, lol.....my 1/4 inch seems are coming out better. I like a scant 1/4 inch seem. I also think the pressing not ironing is another thing I was doing wrong. I am now ion the process of making a little baby quilt using thew D4P. hope it turns out good. I am taking my time and not trying to do it in a day or less. If I get frustrated I just walk away and go back later. I love making quilt tops and hope one day to be able to quilt some small ones myself. So serge1 don't give up, keep trying and remember you are not the only one who has these problems. Have a good day to all and God Bless.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 AM

I have been quilting exactly one year this month. I am finally starting to figure it out. Have been watching video tutorials and have picked up so many little tricks I did not get initially. Like the pressing, not ironing. I realized that to be a quilter you cannot stress out over ripping and redoing. It is part of the process. I sure feel less frustrated a year into this hobby. My sister, my teacher and mentor, told me mistakes will teach me. She was right. I have had many of those frustrating moments the past year. You are not alone.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 AM

I finally figured out that the 1/4 inch foot does not maintain a 1/4 inch. It's always too big or not consistant. I move my needle to the right (on my Elna, it's to 6.5) and use the edge of my foot as a guide, being careful not to look at the needle, but keep my eye on the edge of the foot. I know it's a pain to always have to move the needle when I first turn on my machine, but so rewarding.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 AM

You know Sarge1, it may not be you, I had a problem with a ruler that had thick lines and over the course of a few cuts being sewn together they would be off, so you might check your ruler.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Sounds like you are beating yourself up over the idea of perfection. Perfection comes over years of practice and patience then remember fabric moves, it stretches or shrinks depending on how you press it. If you want the "perfect block" mark on your ironing board with a ruler the size then pin your block to the marks and press it to fit. I have been a prolific quilter and enjoyed the process take a class like you thought about. You have been given a lot of really great advice here, now enjoy your learning process. But breath and don't be so hard on yourself.