Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance >

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam allowance

Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 AM

Get Sally Collins' book "The Art of Machine Piecing" to learn how to cut and sew accurately, and take her workshop on this if possible. I did both, and she has improved my piecing life tremendously. And I have only adopted a few of her suggestions!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 AM

I also found that the needle position that my Janome Accufeed 1/4" foot says to use was not accurate. I put an add a quarter ruler under the needle & found that I need to move the needle position further to the right. I really think that my biggest problem is still in my pressing when my blocks are off though.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:47 AM

I am right there with you! I have been quilting for years and I still cannot get the 1/4 inch seam...no matter what I do, the block ends up too small. I've tried all the 'fixes' but no-go. Finally decided to forget it. I do my best and if things aren't perfect, nobody notices. I quilt for pleasure and for family/friends and they love all my quilts. I am never going to be a perfectionist but that's fine with me.
Having said that, I know there are those who want things 'right' and that's okay too. If you are like that, then keep trying. Having someone...... who knows how it's done.....to sit down with you will probably be the best solution.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 AM

Did those two test blocks wind up being the same size? Yes, they may have been smaller than expected, but were they consistently smaller? Did they match each other?

If so, I'd suggest that you just go with what you're doing now until you regain some of your confidence. At least finishing a quilt or two slightly smaller than the pattern called for is more rewarding than giving up in total frustration.

If all the blocks are the same size, it really doesn't matter if they're a tad too small. You can always make a wider border at the end, or even add another row of blocks, if you think the finished top should be larger. All is not lost, truly it isn't.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I would take a bit of a break, then return to your machine. If you can figure out where that 1/4" seam is on your machine, it does make your quilting life easier, as you don't have to struggle to get your blocks to fit together.
First, don't make a practice block to figure the seam out, use the following technique:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

I have an expensive machine, with a 1/4" piecing foot (which was also expensive!) and was having problems. I did the test above and found out that I had to move the needle over quite a bit to get where I needed to be.
A thinner thread also helps, but C&C is just fine too. If you do decide to try a thinner thread (in your next project), you will need to redo the test above because the 1/4" guide might change.

If your quilt has all the same block, then consistent is going to work just fine, but more complex quilts will go together easier if you use the correct seam.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I use to have the same problem until I bought a Guidelines 4 Quilting Prep Tool. You place it to the right, under your needle, and they sell Seam Guides inexpensively, and you put a Seam Guide down along the right side of the Prep Tool and it gives you an accurate 'scant 1/4" seam". My sewing has been right on ever since I bought the Prep Tool a few years ago. I suggest you invest in one. It's not expensive.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM

I understand how you feel and have been there myself, another alternative is to do what Elenor Burns does and make it bigger and cut it down to the size you need.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 AM

I was just like you when I first started quilting many years ago. Then I got Mary Ellen Hopkins book "It's OK If You Sit On My Quilt". She talks about your "PPM", which stands for Personal Private Measurement. As long as you are consistent with your seams, it's OK if it's off a little. That freed me from the stress of not having an exact 1/4 inch seam. Are the quilt police going to get you if your quilt does not measure exactly as the pattern states? I figure as long as I'm not out to make the perfect quilt, I'm good to go. I will never enter my quilts in a show, that's not why I love quilting. I just want my family and friends to be able to snuggle under something I made for them with love.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Yep, I feel your pain, that is why I decided to just make simple quilts or scrappies ! I sometimes tell myself that if I bought a fancy machine I could do better but that won't be happening in the near or probably far future lol.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 AM

I can get it fine with my machine that allows me to move the needle. If I use one where that is not possible----I cut all the pieces just a tad bigger. I let a smidge peak out beyond the mark on the ruler...to the left of the line.

I use the expensive thread for just precision stuff. Mostly I use Connecting Threads for all my charity quilts. The recipients do not care of a point is cut off.