Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Magazines >
  • Magazines

• Magazines

Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 AM

I have made clothes from Sew Beautiful patterns and they turned out well. Have done small dolls from magazines. I think I did make some small stocking stuffers from a magazine. But I have to see it to want it.
    Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 AM

If you are looking for specific things to sew, I would suggest you Google it. There are millions of patterns on the Internet and the pics are in color and free. No need to buy the magazine.
    Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie
    I never buy a magazine wrapped in plastic, either. If I can't see what I'm buying, I don't buy it.
    Same here. If I can't even see what's in it I don't bother to buy it. I have let most of my quilt magazine subscriptions run out. The one I buy on the stand every time is available is The Quilt Sampler where you can "visit" ten quilt shops around the country. I really enjoy that even if I don't make anything from it.
    Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 AM

I went thru a period where I bought every magazine. Then noticed I make more quilts from 2 of them, those are the 2 I have a subscription to and browse magazine racks for others. Lesson learned, more money for fabrics.
    Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 AM

I agree it's annoying but I recently saw a woman taking pictures of quilts in a magazine with her phone. She didn't buy the magazine. Just put it back on the shelf looking far from new and unused. So I guess I can understand why they've gone to the plastic wrappers. As usual those of us who are honest are penalized for the sins of the dishonest.
    Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I rarely buy a magazine if it is in plastic. I only buy magazines that have at least one idea/pattern I want to try. I figure the price of the magazine is about the same as buying a pattern. I have also found that mediocre magazines are usually the ones wrapped because no one would buy them otherwise.
    That's my feeling exactly! If the magazine company won't let me see what's inside before I pay anywhere from $5-$12, they've lost the sale to me! I can even remove sewing pattern (McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity) instructions and look at them before I buy it. I don't believe that "protecting the magazine" stuff - I agree the magazines must be mediocre and we would be disappointed if we saw what they were and how much we have to pay to get them!
    Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by nygal
    Same here. If I can't even see what's in it I don't bother to buy it. I have let most of my quilt magazine subscriptions run out. The one I buy on the stand every time is available is The Quilt Sampler where you can "visit" ten quilt shops around the country. I really enjoy that even if I don't make anything from it.
    I, too, have let my magazine subscriptions run out. I look through the magazines on the stand and only buy if there are at least three patterns that "might" go on my wish list. If it's sealed in plastic I've been known to open it to look unless it's sealed to keep a CD from being stolen.

But I always grab The Quilt Sampler! *LOL* It's the only one I'd get a subscription to if it were available.
    Old 10-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    I admit it...I love mags... love to pull a stack out and browse.
    I agree. I was browsing through my magazines last night.
    Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 PM

I totally agree. When I first started quilting I subscribed to a few quilting magazines. Now I have so many more downloaded free patterns I will never get to them all! This board is such a good resource! I shared three fun, free patterns today!

btw I love getting magazines in the mail, and love flipping through pages. I found the magazines I have are not used.

Originally Posted by mckwilter
    There are so many free patterns on the internet, I never buy magazines anymore. There are tutorials, YouTubes, blogs, newsletters. I save them on my computer, so I can print them out any time I want. Or there are sites like ePatternCentral.com and Annies where you can see, purchase and download patterns on your computer. I found that I probably wanted one or two patterns out of a magazine, so I was buying something and saving 4 or 5 pages and throwing the rest away.
    Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Have you tried your local library? Ours carries a couple of different ones.