Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >
  • What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

• What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 AM

I love modern quilts, I love all quilts!

Yes, Holice, I'd like to know what you had to say about Modern Quilts in the article that was published.
    Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 AM

I like the way Modern quilts look in homes with modern decor. I'm not likely to make one for myself though. Neither of my son's wife/girlfriends favor modern decor but the grandkids might when they reach adulthood. I don't care for traditional quilts at all. I think 30's fabrics and designs are about the ugliest stuff ever made, although some of the stuff from the 70's definitely give it a run for the money. I would call the style of quilts I make contemporary.

I do think the Modern quilts tend to focus less on the piecing and more on the actual quilting.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by stillclock
    i don't "grab any fabric" when i am making my traditional quilts. i spend a goodly amount of time making sure there is harmony in my colours and pattern choices, no matter what kind of quilt i am making.

aileen
    True... didn't mean to imply that at all... What I was talking about was "scrappy", where you use anything you have.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 AM
    Banned

I will have to look up the exact quote but it was something like...of the 50 or so aims/ purpose of the group, workmanship is about number 35, indicating the importance of it in moderns quilts. And some thought that for me the exciting element is freedom of design. This is not an exact quote but the gist of it. This resulted from a conversation I had with a quilter who is also a freelance writer for the newspaper. My conversation was about another subject related to the modern movement.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    You need to be good at free motion quilting for modern quilts. Im not so don't do modern unless sent out to longarmer.
    Not necessarily. I've done many with straight lines and a walking foot.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    Interesting take on the trend. I made a comment and was quoted in an article in the Wall Street Journal newspaper.
    Holice, I read the WSJ article. thanks for noting it - very interesting.

I would think that there is no reason why modern quilt designs can't be technically complex, even virtuoso, and why construction quality might be undervalued. All elements of craftmanship should be valued in a judged quilt. I hope those modern masterpieces will hold up as long as our grandmothers' quilts did!
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think of quilts as paintings composed of colored bits of fabrics - each an expression of different form and sometimes function- much like oil or watercolor paintings. Some paintings are abstract and look as if paint colors were mindlessly thrown against a blank canvas while other paintings have a painstaking view of the world around us like John Singer Sargent or Monet. Is one better than the other? Is one easier to do than another? Does it matter? I think what matters is the creative spirit that each of us finds in ourselves and how we express it to others. To take a quote from Voltaire, I may not believe in what you say but I will defend your right to say it. ....I may not like the design of a quilt or the colors but I will respect the creativity.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 AM
    Power Poster

I like it. And my niece just saw it. She's 8yo and thinks she would like to make one like yours for her little friend. He's 6 months old. She of course wants to use baby type prints. She's just learning and plans on doing it by hand. Little does she know she's getting a sewing machine for Christmas.
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend
    I don't necessarily think "modern" equates to "no matching seams". I had to match every single one of these in the one I made this year. The fabrics in this make it more of a "modern" quilt because of the "low volume" fabrics I chose.

This is my first "modern" quilt, and I do like it. Although, I think it's a matter of taste, personally.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451629[/ATTACH]
    Nice quilt - looks a lot like the 1930's quilt I bought up in Kitchener Ontario some years ago. Mine was nine-patch all random, but the squares were only just over an inch.

Any comments from the modern quilters on whether my 1930's quilt is modern?
    Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 AM

I love the modern quilt aesthetic; I love that it is bringing eager, young quilters to the art/craft; I love the blend of clean, clear, updated design executed with solid, proven, traditional skills; I love that it is creating a 'stir' just as Modern Art did when it appeared on the scene; I love the possibilities it opens up. I fully support any and all growth in quilting, and I believe the Modern Quilt Movement is going to have a major place in quilt history.

This quote sums it up nicely for me (note the date).

"If we can retain the structural integrity of the traditional quilt, and add to it a contemporary approach in color and design, we will achieve a quilt which merges past and present." ~Jean Ray Laury, Quilts & Coverlets (1970)