Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?" >

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
I see many people say they would not make one for a lower price for friends and family but will make them for charity???
Charity is a gift, from you to a needy person-- your choice. A commission is a sales agreement and not necessarily what you would choose to make. Gifts and sales are different. Sometimes I pay my tithes by gifting quilts to charities. Sales of quilts fund the charity quilts.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Figuring out what to charge for a quilt is always problematic for me. I've made baby quilts for $35-$50, with a twin $100+ (the $100 was for a very dear friend for her nephew). I know I don't charge enough for my labor, however, most of my quilts are made for friends and family, and what I charge usually equals the cost of fabric and batting, but not my time. I have been asked to make a queen size quilt, but when I quoted $400, they declined, even when the quilt I was asked to make was very labor intensive with both applique and piecing. If people want a handmade quilt, I feel that you should be compensated fairly, if they don't want to spend the money, they can always go to a discount store for one.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 AM

I charge $600 for labor and material for making a queen size and I do not get rich doing it.......You should get at least $250 and let them buy the fabric. Having them buy the fabric gives them an idea of the expense incurred in making the quilt.

Last edited by trolleystation; 12-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 AM

I agree with some of the others. Have her go with you to pick out & pay for all the supplies needed. That way she will know, at least, what the cost for the quilter is. Then you can talk with her about what she feels is a fair price for your time & labor. Please don't cut yourself short on what you are truly worth. The way I charge is the cost of the supplies + half that plus 15%. You need to think of what additional things you will be using that is not in the cost of supplies as electricity, needles etc. I always get at least half down (non refundable) before starting it unless they pay for the supplies. Also have it in a contract stating all you both have agreed to. With them paying part in advance, you have less chance of them backing out after the quilt is finished. I give them an estimated cost of fabric at the high price & let them know if I can catch fabric on sale then I will deduct that from the total price. That seems to please everyone.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 PM

If you were making quilts for a living then I would say charge more, but to make a quilt for a co-worker and one that you say is a very simple an easy to make, I would go with your original plan..$75 is better than no $$'s for something that you would probably make and gift way anyway..IMHO
Old 12-29-2013, 01:24 PM

it's my understanding this would be a jelly roll quilt. if your co-worker bought jelly rolls then there wouldn't be any time used in cutting just sewing. that said i would never sell a quilt because it would take all the fun out of it for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM
ro
Banned

i agree with trippgal. no matter what you charge people always think you are getting rich on it. hope you get what you want for the quilt.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 PM
yel

i charge somewhere in the $100 range just to quilt a queen size and that is just meandering nothing special ....i to would re think that price .....better to aim high and give them a break in the end than to short change yourself ................BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO QUEEN SIZE JELLY ROLL RACE QUILTS FOR $50 TO $75 DOLLARS PUT TOGETHER ,QUILITED AND BOUND LET'S SEE I WILL TAKE 20 OF THEM
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 PM

I so agree with the person who said an ordered quilt only puts stress on me and at my age I don't need it.

I have gifted two queen size quilts to family members and several others to family members. I belong to the heartstrings group and make heaps of tops and blocks (and sometimes a finished quilt for charity). This is all my hobby and my relaxation after long days at work. I have made an I spy quilt on request for a family member and charged $50 when I spent $40 to purchase the border fabric as my stash is mostly FQs - but I made my DH who accepted the request from his old auntie stress that it was a one off special family deal.

I made a patchwork bag for my mother to give as a present this past Christmas. The woman admired my mother's bag and was interested in a quilt when my mother said I had also made her a quilt. The charge for the bag was NIL because my parents are always doing things for me. I have drilled into my mother that I don't enjoy making quilts for pay as it takes the enjoyment out of my hobby. The bag was a nice compromise.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Another consideration not discussed here is that to get the size of the quilt you want, you need to carefully calculate the number of strips you need for the width and length that you want. If you just sew the two ends together, there are just a few lengths of quilt that you can produce. These calculations have been done on the board several times.