Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does Jenny do it. >

How does Jenny do it.

How does Jenny do it.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 AM

If you ever met Jenny in person, that would answer part of your question. She has not always been a quilter. She sewed costumes before moving to Missouri. She also has a very fast thinking mind and works fast too, that is why pre cuts are her bag. This along with all her kids and grandkids, she gets so much done, I really thinks she is a woman who can meet any thing put to her.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:42 AM

I think Jenny is wonderful. I don't think she will ever win any awards for her accuracy however, there are a lot more quilters like her than there are like all the precision quilters and if we all had to be precision quilters the quilt business would no longer survive. When you watch her she makes you feel like "Oh I can do that". After all is said and done she will generate more new quilters than any precision quilter ever will because like I said she makes you feel like I can do that....
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Charley's Mom View Post
I was fortunate to meet the wonderful Jenny Doan at her shop a couple of years ago. She personally took me around the shop and the warehouse. I think that she does things in a quick manner for the tutorials but also said that she quilts to enjoy it and does not stress over perfection. She is a woman after my own heart. As my late mother used to say "someone on a galloping horse will never see it."
My mother used to say A BLIND MAN on a galloping horse ....etc!

But, I have made the churn dash quilt using layer cakes I cut myself , so I know they were accurate. I am generally very accurate, from years of practice, but try as I might, those squares were just off! But,I think Jenny's point is to get beginners quilting and finishing, and enjoying the process! After all, we all complain about the quilt police being TOO precise!

Last edited by quiltmom04; 05-31-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure she doesn't sew the finished quilts you see behind her... she has STAFF, including her daughter Natalie, who do loads of that for her. She is showing the method, in the quickest way possible for the video. The pieces you see her sew don't go into an actual quilt. She's just showing you the shortcut methods she's famous for. It's fine for you to take more time than she does to get your accuracy.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:38 AM

IŽd say sheŽs there to show how to use things she has to sell. Everyone knows making quilts take time so the idea of easy, fast and fun might sell well. She`s nice and fun
Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 AM

I just watched her Dresden Plate Wallhanging video and she is so contagious, I want to make it right away!

I am always worried she is going to cut herself with her rotary cutter, especially when she's cutting it backwards. I know an accident would never end up on the video, but I still hold my breath. Maybe it's because she has such a friendly attitude, I feel like I know her.

She also uses a lot of templates, which definitely helps with accuracy.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I am always hearing in general conversations about how grown women talk about how imperfect they are. Much damage has been done over many years of striving to be perfect. Jenny Doan and Eleanor Burns are great examples of how much fun any endeavor can be. Be it quilting, cooking, gardening, etc. Hurray to them for making it less stressful and more fun. We can take their inspiration and fly as high as we want with it. The methods they show us only help us to get more creative in our own lives.
peace
I like this post, very much, especially the part I underlined up there. A nice philosophical treat for my morning.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Default blocks

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
My mother used to say A BLIND MAN on a galloping horse ....etc!

But, I have made the churn dash quilt using layer cakes I cut myself , so I know they were accurate. I am generally very accurate, from years of practice, but try as I might, those squares were just off! But,I think Jenny's point is to get beginners quilting and finishing, and enjoying the process! After all, we all complain about the quilt police being TOO precise!
I am making in the process of making the Disappearing Pin-Wheel (ShooFly) using Jenny's technique. Working on blocks cut on the bias is not all that easy. Most of my blocks were square, but not all. I just did the best that I could do. I used a lot of starch to help prevent stretching, sometimes to the point of being cardboard like and they still didn't always come out square. The quilt is for me, so I am not stressing over it, but my youngest grandson loves it and wants it when I am done with it. It is made from my late husband's button down shirts into a memory quilt and only one of the materials is 100% cotton. I am sure that is where part of the trouble started. I am just happy that I could follow the pattern and have it almost finished at this point. The only thing to finish is the borders and binding since I used a QAYG technique, also. I will be posting a photo when it is complete.

Last edited by dee1245; 05-31-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 AM

Not to take away from her expertise, remember that we are watching videos which can be edited, just like a movie. So what we see may not be exactly what was done ..unless it was done several times to get it "right".
Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 AM

I agree that she is just demoing the concept, and is most likely much more careful when making actual quilts. But also, that she is not a fanatic about perfection, as she does want it to be fun. I like her videos because I can go back and watch again when I can't keep up, which is often, LOL.