Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
household items used for quilting >

household items used for quilting

household items used for quilting

Old 07-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Tooth picks for needle turn applique, and when I strip piece ( like a bargello) I use my clothes drying rack with the small wooden dowels, to keep my strips organized. It folds flat and is easy to store when not being used.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:15 AM

A small foam meat tray by my machines work to hold my scissors, pencil, small 2 inch square ruler (check my 1/4 inch seam) and seam ripper. I use larger meat trays to organize my cut fabric blocks.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 AM

When at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, I spotted a huge rolling tool cart with a wooden top. Hmm- that would make a great ironing board and storage cart. My DH wrestled it into the car and into my new sewing studio. Now I am organizing my quilting supplies, next thing is to make an ironing board from the wooden top. It is just the right height for pressing my fabric and has 9 big drawers.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 AM

coffee filters for sewing on........(senior moment)... hope you know what I am talking about
Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I could only think[ATTACH=CONFIG]481082[/ATTACH] of one thing...I use a cat to keep my fabric from flying away!

Margaret

PS - sorry the picture is so big - I don't know how to make it smaller.
I love it! I also use a cat to hold down fabric...at times they rearrange my block layout to their liking
Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I use a buffalo tooth to press seams, the root end of the tooth has a nice smooth point which is great for pushing out corners. It only cost me $.50 and works great.
Never heard of this, please enlighten as to what it is. Sounds interesting!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 AM

I use an empty paper towel roll cardboard to wrap my binding around. I have an unused paper towel holder that I put the roll on and I can pull the binding off as I'm sewing. It doesn't get tangled in my lap or on the floor.
I also would like to know what a buffalo tooth is.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 AM

I use empty "Tic Tac" containers for used needles and bent pins. I use a prescription bottle for used 45 cm blades. I use snippets of oxygen tubing and wall anchors to put over the sharp points of small scissors I have lost the covers for. I have a plastic box for fishing to hold all the feet for my machine. I used a sharpie to write on the bottom of each section which foot goes in that section. It has room to hold thread, needles, scissors, etc., so when I go to a retreat or class, I just grab the box and it has everything in it.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-box.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 AM

I use the plastic sheets that come in a package of bacon for template plastic. Just be sure to give it a good scrub with dawn soap. I also use a large muffin tin for sorting thing like buttons, pins and clips. Empty square tissue boxes make great collection boxes for trimmings from batting that I later use for pin cushions. A must have is a collection of assorted sizes of plastic storage bags.

One of my most used unusual items is a smooth fist size rounded rock from the garden. It is a paper weight, presses seams, small hammer and anything else that comes to mind at the "moment" I am looking for something to use.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 AM

I use empty coffee can for thread ends ( when full, put the lid back on and throw away), Medicine bottles for 45m used blades, medicine bottles with hole in top for used needles and pins. All are easy to throw away when full. the medicine bottles have screw on lids. Cover the hole in the needle on with a bead headed pin and tape.