Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilter has my quilt, not working on it! >
  • Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

• Quilter has my quilt, not working on it!

Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM

I had this problem not too long ago with a longarmer I have used for years. She had my quilt for six months. I asked several times and she made excuses. Then I noticed that her girlfriends who had given her quilts long after me were getting them back, but I was not. I called again, relayed my observation and said I would pick it up and take it elsewhere. She said she had put it on the frame and would have it done in a day or two. I showed up exactly when I said I would and it was beautifully done. She charged me about half the usual fee and apologized profusely. I have not taken anything else to her, but when I do I am going to ask for a written contract so there is no question re. time frame, price, quilt design etc. She was out of line, but I was not very good about treating my work with her as a "business arrangement", not just my friend.
    Old 11-09-2014, 12:47 PM

I have caught a little bit of backing in a quilt. I should mention here that it was my second quilt ever, and I loaded the backing a little "sloppily". Here's what happened, and no, I don't think I could manage to do it again this way.

I loaded the quilt on the frame, and because it was giving me some grief to get the back straight, I ended up with about an 8" "tail" at the top of the quilt. It hung down and stayed out of the way of the quilting, so I didn't worry about it. I quilted all but the cornerstones on the border and advanced the quilt. Fast forward 6 months to finish the quilt and I have just the corner stones left. I rolled the quilt back to the top, decided on the quilting motif and quilted. I advanced the quilt and finished the motif on the bottom cornerstones and removed the quilt from the frame. I trimmed the quilt and backing and got ready to trim thread and bind. While inspecting, I found that large "Tail" had been caught twice when I'd gone back to quilt the cornerstones.

IF the quilt had not been rolled on top of the tail for 6 months, IF I'd not left the tail to begin with, or IF I'd just decided on the design at the beginning - I wouldn't have had that to rip. That said, it was about 5" total, and I managed to take out the spare fabric without ripping stitches. Boy did I learn a lot of lessons on that quilt.

At the end of the day, it was my own sloppiness that caused it, but it IS possible.

I can understand a batting or top problem long before a backing problem though, assuming the back is loaded but batting and top are floated.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-09-2014 at 12:49 PM.
    Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK
    My thought is that if the quilt got caught in the machine, she either does not know how to release it without damaging it, or is afraid to try it. I hope it is not damaged badly. I know nothing about the long arm machines except what I've seen on YouTube, etc., but it surely does sound bad to me! I hope you are able to get it back soon in good condition.
    Yep, that's what I'm thinking, too. Otherwise, why not just give a call, talk to you to explain the delay, and then get on with it?
    I am so sad that your surprise has been ruined. What should have been a wonderful experience is not. I hope to hear that this is resolved with your quilt looking absolutely beautiful.
    Old 11-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    Send her a certified letter informing her that unless your quilt is finished in two weeks, you will be considering legal action. She is a business, and owes her customers at least marginal customer service. She has not done this. Time to show her what happens when you breach a contract. Her ignoring you is inexcusable. You have trusted her enough, to hire her, to help with a step in your project, and she has treated it like an favor instead of a business deal, which she agreed to. She made a business deal, and must be forced, if needed, to honor her agreement. Just because she works from home does not entitle her to act like this. In this world you are born with a name and reputation, hers have both been proven unreliable. Hobbies are hobbies, but she chose to make it a business and ethics is severely lacking. Get your quilt back, on the two week deadline, and make sure to leave a notice on "Angie's List" describing exactly what happened to you, so others are warned.
    This is what I would do.
    Old 11-09-2014, 05:52 PM

I think I would want to talk to her face to face and if there is a problem with her finishing the quilt perhaps there is someone else in your area that you could take it to--after checking with the person who has it and finding out if that is a possibility if she isn't working on it.
    Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    This is what I would do.
    I like this answer---the writer is correct--she is in a business--not a personal friend and makes me wonder how many others have not been happy with her.
    Old 11-09-2014, 06:56 PM

I'm sorry, but I would have to get some family member to go to the shop/lady and demand to look at the quilt, show me what she's done, and then demand what she will do to fix it, and satisfy your elderly mothers concerns. Yes, I can understand anything is possible with a machine. But when you're not going to keep me abreast of what you're doing to rectify the mistake, I get livid. If this is a place of business, you also have consumer protection or the BBB to call. If it's someone working out of their home and don't have a business license then resort to step one. As long as no one is contacting her and demanding answers, nothing will get done.
    Old 11-10-2014, 04:40 AM
    Power Poster

I'm sorry to hear about this. Luckily I am still able to finish my own quilts. I hope all goes well and your Mother is able to get her quilt back and finished.
    Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 AM

I think that you should call and ask about the quilt and what is being done (or Not). Explain the gift and time past and it was promised and you want to know. If you don't like the answers than tell her you want the quilt back and send someone to get it. After just one visit, where the person didn't think it was being worked on, is not really proof it's not being worked on. It could have been a break - if it's still wrapped around the frame she can't do anyone else's quilt either. I'm guessing it got damaged and she is trying to fix it.
    I did have an instance where I mailed my quilt out and it was months and she was ignoring my emails and calls. I emailed her finally and told her I was going to call her guild and find out if something had happened to her since she wouldn't contact me. I didn't know what else to do. She was very peeved when she got back to me and sent my quilt back, but it did the trick. The quilt was not done well, tension issues, but it was back. Legal threats are not something I would do.
    Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 AM

I would ask for the quilt back, remove the stitching myself, and take it to someone else. She missed the deadline, didn't let you know, and you don't owe her anything.